UP Police Captain enjoys outdoors

When former University Police Captain Fernando Solorzano was named chief of police, Scott Brown stepped up as the newest captain.

Brown, who has been working in law enforcement for nearly 17 years, sat down with the Daily 49er to talk about his experience in the field.

Q: How did you get started?

A: I was actually interested in being a fish and game warden, and since you needed some police background, I began working at CSULB as a student assistant in 1985.

Q: What changed your mind?

A: Well, my original plan was to work [here], but then go off to Alaska to work in the outdoors, because it involves a variety of things; something I have enjoyed. However, your intent changes and you end up doing something different. In my case, I never left.

Q: What made you interested in the police captain position?

A: The challenge. I would say it is also the natural progression of this career … it all lined up. I worked closely with former Police Captain Fernando Solorzano and our careers always ran parallel to each other. We started together back in 1994 and since then I’ve tended to follow his path.

Q: Have you always worked at the University Police?

A: Yes, I started back in 1985 as an assistant to a dispatcher and moved to a private industry for a while, but I’ve always been an officer.

Q: What do you enjoy most about the job?

A: It’s always different. I could come into work expecting to do certain things, but then something could happen and everything gets thrown off the desk. There is always something new going on — my days are never the same.

Q: What’s your least favorite part?

A: Meetings — they are a necessary evil. As my career continued, I’ve said that I would only want to be a patrol sergeant, but meetings are something you have to do even if they take up a lot of time.

Q: Do you foresee any potential problems that will occur this year?

A: Although our campus is one of the safest in the nation, theft can occur. I want students to be aware of their surroundings at all times and know what is going on. If you leave your purses, laptops, phones or iPods lying around, they will go missing. Also, if you are spending hundreds of dollars on a bike, at least invest a couple of dollars for a U-lock.

Q: How do you bring awareness to these issues or deal with them?

A: We offer bike registration to students, we have a Crime Prevention Unit and our website is informative. In the end, it all comes down to a matter of common sense. We are a community — a small community — of 30,000 and we face the same issues that any other community would face.

Q: Are there any changes you want to implement in regards to policy or the way things are dealt with?

A: No, we have a solid base to begin with, including responding to and reacting to everything.

Q: What is going to be your main focus this year?

A: Budget, budget and, oh yeah, budget. Money is tight and we do our best to limit our expenses and do the best with what we have.

Q: Would you consider finances to be the biggest problem you face?

A: Absolutely. Because of the economy, we know money is tight and only so much can be divided. It is also expensive to run a police department, especially since we are open 24 hours.

Q: What does your daily schedule consist of — what does your job entail?

A: I do not have a set routine, but I generally work from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. I have meetings, complaints, budget and officers and anything else that comes up.

Q: Is there anything you want to share with the university — comments, advice, etc.?

A: I want you to go through your educational career knowing that we are here but never needing us. If you could do that, it would be great. Of course, use the services available to you, but I want this to almost be like a customer service not police. Just always be aware.