Students call Kardashian divorce, wedding a ‘hoax’

After only 72 days of marriage, reality show star Kim Kardashian filed for divorce Monday from her husband and professional basketball player, Kris Humphries.

“After careful consideration, I have decided to end my marriage,” Kardashian said in a statement to several news agencies. “I hope everyone understands this was not an easy decision. I had hoped this marriage was forever, but sometimes things don’t work out as planned. We remain friends and wish each other the best.”

The couple’s wedding on August 20 cost a reported $20 million, led to a multi-episode television special on E! and reached 8 million viewers, according to ABC News.

Students on campus reacted to the celebrity news.

“I think she did it for publicity and so they can get higher ratings,” freshman Danny Cedeno said.

Cedeno’s sisters watch the show regularly and the freshman heard the news through them. He said he thinks the wedding and the divorce were all rigged.

“I don’t think it was a scam,” said Edith Alvarez, a pre-nursing major.

Alvarez watches the show regularly and was surprised to hear about the divorce. She said, on the show, the couple was already having problems but she was “hoping they would last.”

Rumors about the couple’s problems have been circulating on the web and on TV.

Kardashian told People magazine that their first few days of marriage were not great.

Kardashian, 31, is worth an estimated $35 million and Humphries, 26, is worth approximately $8 million.

“Keeping up with the Kardashians” is a reality television show that airs on E!

The television show follows the lives of the Kardashian family, including Kim and her sisters Khloe and Kourtney, her half-sisters Kendall and Kylie Jenner, and her brother Robert.

It originally aired in 2007 and its seventh season is scheduled to begin in July.

The original show has led to spin-offs such as “Kourtney and Khloe Take Miami,” “Kourtney and Kim Take New York” and “Khloe and Lamar.”

Humphries is power forward for the New Jersey Nets.