Students uneasy about winter session benefits

Winter session enrollment has steadily declined at the College of Continuing and Professional Education at Cal State Long Beach during the past five years.

This may be due to economic factors and course availability, according to CCPE marketing manager, Anna Behar-Russell.

“Our assumptions regarding the decline include a couple possible factors: The declining economy and the decrease of [College of Business Administartion] courses,” Behar-Russell said. “They decreased their offerings in 2010 and stopped offering winter session courses altogether in 2011.”

Even so, some CSULB students are looking to the CCPE as a means of avoiding course overload during the regular academic terms and so that they may graduate on time.

Senior social work major Jesse Covan is considering attending winter session to lighten her course load for the spring and stay under the 18 maximum units allowed by the university.

“I’m thinking about it because I have so many classes that I have to take in the spring, and, if I don’t [take winter session], it will put me over the 18 units,” she said.

Covan is in the Army ROTC program and, in order to fulfill the requirements for her ROTC scholarship, she must complete a military history course that is three units, which would push her over to 21 units.

If Covan is unable to take all of the courses that she needs, she will be ineligible to receive her scholarship award and would have to postpone graduation until next fall.

Upon completing her program, Covan plans to join the Army as a 2nd Lt. and serve as a social worker helping military families. However, this could all be a setback if she is unable to complete her degree by May.

“It would be horrible,” Covan said of not graduating on time.

Graduate student Sheena Savdharia said she isn’t planning on enrolling in winter session due to program costs. Winter session is priced at $267 per unit, according to the CCPE website.

“It’s too expensive,” Savdharia said. “I’d rather be stressed out and have it be harder by taking a fuller load during regular academic year than have to pay all of that extra money.”

CCPE charges the lowest fees for winter session in the entire CSU, with the exception of CSU Dominguez Hills, and strives to provide affordable educational opportunities and additional higher education access opportunities for all of its constituents, said Behar– Russell.

“In addition to regular financial aid, many students who participate in CCPE programs receive employer tuition reimbursement or scholarships, ” Behar-Russell said. “Last summer, CCPE helped to fund $500,000 in financial aid for continuing CSULB students.”

Savdharia, who commutes to CSULB from Mission Viejo, said the course costs alone are financially burdening, but she would also need to pay for the required parking permit and gas expenses. She said it’s simply too much.

Senior engineering major Taylor Nguyen also doesn’t have any plans to enroll in winter session this year. Nguyen, who took classes through CCPE last summer, prefers the summer session to winter because the break is longer.

This way, he can finish the session and then have the rest of summer vacation to enjoy.

“Winter break is too short and you don’t really get to enjoy it,” Nguyen said. “You don’t get to just hang out and relax.”

Also, attempting to complete an upper-division class in three weeks is going to be more difficult compared to the normal 18-week upper-division class, he said.

“Any class you take is probably going to be hard, so it’s not ideal,” Nguyen said.

Those concerned about class performance may want to reserve general education and lower division classes for winter sessions, recommends Behar-Russel.

“Academic departments take care in offering courses that are appropriate within an accelerated format,” Behar-Russel said.

When it comes to costs, Nguyen doesn’t mind paying the extra money if it means graduating on time, he said.

“At this point, you just want to graduate so you just do what you got to do,” Nguyen said.

CCPE is offering 200 three-week classes this winter. The class count will increase or decrease as courses are added or cancelled. Class sizes typically range from 20 to 30 students. Students are restricted to 4.0 units during the three-week session.

Those participating in winter session are also required to purchase a winter parking permit, which costs $25.50 for the entire session.