Shuttle stop closes due to construction

The east campus shuttle stop near the Fine Arts buildings is currently out of service due to construction in Parking Lot 8A, leaving many students frustrated by the inconvenience.

The driveway next to Faculty Office building 3 has been under construction since last week, and the east campus shuttle, along with the afternoon all-campus tripper shuttle, is now required to bypass the stop.

It has forced students, who regularly use the stop, to get on and off at farther shuttle stops, or simply not use the shuttle at all.

“We apologize for any inconvenience imposed on the students, but this will eventually improve our parking system,” Rudometkin said. “We closed the stop for an aired margin of safety, which is one of our main concerns.”

Although the sign posted by the stop says the construction will continue until Nov. 22, Rudometkin hopes it will be done by the end of this week.

The meters in Parking Lot 8A will be taken out, and a pay-by-space machine will be put into place where students can pay for parking by the hour using cash, credit, debit or Beach Club credit, according to Rudometkin.

“It is just a huge inconvenience to walk up that hill from the east turn-around, on top of carrying all my supplies,” said Elizabeth Eichmann, a senior art education major.

Members of La Raza Student Association were upset they could not depend on the shuttle during their Dia De Los Muertos event on Nov. 3.

Members carried supplies to and from the FO-3 building, where the club’s resource center is located, to the Soroptimist House, where the event took place.

Lizeth Zepeda, a member of La Raza Student Association, also felt upset by the shuttle system.

“First they change the times, then they lower the amount of shuttles, and now they take away an entire stop,” Zepeda said. “That’s really inconvenient for a so-called ‘convenient’ shuttle system.”

Rudometkin said the construction project requires trenching and foundation work near the shuttle stop and that it would be hazardous for the shuttles to continue operating.