Student tailgate highlights Homecoming Week events

Homecoming Week kicked off Sunday, and a slew of campus events will follow in anticipation of Saturday’s men’s basketball game against the University of Idaho.

Long Beach State Athletics, Associated Students Inc. and the Cal State Long Beach Alumni Association are hosting the week’s events, which range from student art galleries to a student tailgate before Saturday’s basketball game.

“I’m looking forward to the game,” said Ranecia Cormier, senior human development, and child development and family studies major. “It’s the start of basketball season, I love being a part of the Monson Maniacs and there is always a better turn-out than the year before.”

ASI will not be hosting a pep rally like last year.

“We’re having a tailgate before the game starting at 11,” said Christina Esparza, ASI’s communications coordinator. “There, students can vote for homecoming king and queen. There will be live entertainment, food and student organizations setting up their own games.”

According to Esparza, students can look forward to interactive games, a free photo booth, wax hands, and free food for the first 200 students.

Campus clubs and organizations will also play a large role in this year’s student tailgate. The organizations that apply to be a part of the festivities will have their own games, activities and snacks for students to enjoy.

“[It’s] bittersweet since it’s my last homecoming as an undergraduate,” Cormier said. “It adds excitement to my senior year and I’m sure I’ll be back for next year’s homecoming.”

According to Esparza, homecoming is an event in which students weave in and out, making it hard to keep track of attendance. However, the homecoming events are open to all.

“ASI would love for every student to come out and join the fun,” Esparza said. “Come support The Beach and have fun doing it.”

For a list of all the activities that will take place during Homecoming Week, visit csulb.edu/alumni/homecoming.