Student kisses wall for 57 minutes, wins phone

The American Marketing Association hosted the BlackBerry Messenger Kissing Challenge on Tuesday to promote BlackBerry phones at Cal State Long Beach.

The event was intended to create the perception that BlackBerry phones are for young adults and not just working professionals. It comes at a time when BlackBerry faces steep challenges from the new iPhone 4S and other phones running on the Android platform.

Despite the provocative title, the Kissing Challenge was not a make-out session. Instead, six competitors puckered up to a cardboard “bubble” and hung on for as long as they could. The competition lasted 57 minutes with junior business marketing major Daniel Zimmerman winning the grand prize: A new BlackBerry phone.

“I’m a pretty patient person in general,” Zimmerman said. “I can do nothing for long periods of time.”

Zimmerman said he currently uses a Samsung phone with a basic calling plan. He was unsure if the new phone would come with a complimentary service plan, but said he might sell it online if it does not.

Although many students hurried by the booth without a glance, a few took the time to stop and stare. Most said they thought the iPhone was the dominant smart phone on campus and doubted if Research In Motion, BlackBerry’s parent company, could change that.

One onlooker, however, said he thought BlackBerry is the better phone. Junior business major Jacob Setzer said he preferred his old BlackBerry Storm, although he now uses a Samsung Galaxy.

Promoters at the event said BlackBerry is used more often in professional settings and has a messenger service, which allows for international texting, and a new app service.

Whether that will be enough to become more popular than the iPhone, however, remains to be seen. The size of the challenge ahead for RIM was underscored when the lead organizer pulled out her brand new iPhone 4S to take a picture of the smiling winner.