Students feed less fortunate, ‘trot’ to the finish line

In addition to city events planned for Thanksgiving, Cal State Long Beach students are doing their own part to give back to those less fortunate.

Diana Alcivar, a senior journalism major, and her parents have been involved in a Thanksgiving charity dinner for six years. Her parents decided to charge for tickets to the dinner in order to raise money to donate to Knights of Columbus charities.

“[The Knights of Columbus is] an organization, Catholic I think, that tries to raise money for charity,” Alcivar said.

The dinner is affordably priced for families that cannot afford or do not want to make their own Thanksgiving dinner.

“Anyone in the community can go, and lots of people do,” Alcivar said.

The dinners are $10 for adults and $5 for children, 11 years old and younger. The dinner was held Nov. 19, and raised over $600 in donations.

Another event, involving the spending of calories rather than the accumulation, is the Turkey Trot.

The Long Beach 5k and 10k Turkey Trot will take place Wednesday and Thursday at Belmont Pool. On Wednesday, the trot will last from noon to 8 p.m. and on Thursday, it will last from 5:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.

In order to participate, all that is needed is a good pair of running shoes, and either a canned good for donation or $1 for parking in the beachfront lot.

More than 6,000 runners and walkers are expected in the ninth annual Long Beach Turkey Trot, presented by Justin Rudd’s nonprofit Community Action team.

The Long Beach Rescue Mission also has opportunities available for students to help out the less fortunate for Thanksgiving.

To feed one person a Thanksgiving dinner, it costs $1.88 donation. To donate and for more information, visit lbrm.org.

The mission also needs volunteers for Wednesday and Thursday to help serve and prep guests for their Thanksgiving meals.