Students shop for best deals on Black Friday, Cyber Monday

Camping outside of stores on Thanksgiving night for deals and bargains has become the norm in recent years.

However, Black Friday is no longer the only day for great shopping deals. The following Monday, deemed Cyber Monday, allows people to purchase cheap items online.

Some students at Cal State Long Beach said they partake in the new tradition of Cyber Monday in order to skip the lines and avoid the hassle of Black Friday.

“I participate in Cyber Monday because some websites have some really good deals, like Amazon or LivingSocial,” junior pre-nursing major Geanne Valdez said.

However, Valdez said she still goes to stores on Black Friday to try on the clothes she wants to buy.

Industry analyst Andrew Lipsman said on CNNMoney.com that he predicts online purchases on Monday to reach $1.2 billion this year.

The Associated Press reported on Saturday that sales were up 7 percent from last year’s shopping event.

This means that, although shopping online is a popular form of purchasing items, going out to stores on the Friday after Thanksgiving is still more common.

“I go Black Friday shopping every year because there is usually something I want that is on sale,” senior Japanese major Jake Anderson said. “I think Black Friday is better [than Cyber Monday] because you get to go with your friends and camp outside of a store and just hang out and have fun for a night.”

Senior journalism major Diana Alcivar said she likes to buy DVDs on Black Friday, but she prefers Cyber Monday.

“I only do Cyber Monday shopping if I have money left over from Black Friday,” Alcivar said. “I prefer it because I can do it from the comfort of my own home, and [websites] usually offer free shipping so it’s the same as shopping in a store.”