CSULB’s Rhodes Scholar still can’t believe she won award

Cal State Long Beach graduate Stephanie Bryson won one of the most prestigious awards in the world — the Rhodes scholarship, which will enable her to study at Oxford University in fall 2012.

“I still don’t believe it,” Bryson said. “It still hasn’t hit me.”

The scholarship received 830 applicants worldwide. Out of 80 worldwide winners, 32 were from the United States.

Bryson, 23, graduated from CSULB spring of 2011 with a degree in German and international studies. She currently attends Georgetown University for a graduate program in German and European studies.

Bryson attended Torrey Pines High School in San Diego. Growing up, she fit the stereotypical California girl — a blonde lifeguard, who surfed and lived carefree. She said being a surfer girl is part of her personality.

During her sophomore year of high school, Bryson contemplated dropping out to become a professional surfer.

“Once I got my car, I just wanted to go surfing, and I ditched a lot of school,” Bryson said. “It was hard to go to school. It just wasn’t my jam.”

However, she soon realized that being a professional surfer would not be a reasonable life choice to support herself. Instead, she decided to continue her education and apply to college. 

Bryson only applied to state schools, but because both of her parents were professors at San Diego State, she decided not to go there. Bryson chose CSULB because of its location, weather and campus environment.

Nele Hempel-Lamer, associate professor of German, served as an adviser to Bryson. Hempel-Lamer helped Bryson with scholarship essays, course selection and information on studying abroad. 

According to Hempel-Lamer, building relationships with professors is what really helps students exceed in college.

Hempel-Lamer said Bryson was well-rounded academically. She noted that Bryson was always the student who would go to a campus event she mentioned in class. 

“What amazed me about Steffi is that she would go to events because she was truly interested,” Hempel-Lamer said. “Students should get their money’s worth by taking advantage of activities on campus.”

Richard Marcus, associate professor and director of the international studies program, served as an adviser to Bryson at CSULB, and wrote her various letters of recommendation for scholarships, including the Rhodes.

When Bryson came to Marcus about her plan to apply for the Rhodes, he knew it would be an intensive process, but he still thought of her as a perfect candidate. 

“I’m just as proud of her for going through the process as I am for her actually winning,” Marcus said. “Public institutions are less likely to get the Rhodes.”

Because the Rhodes is such a prestigious scholarship, most of the winners in the United States come from Ivy League schools. Bryson is the first student from CSULB to win the award. 

“To have a high level of belief in yourself and not be arrogant is something that she had a good balance in,” Marcus said.

During the selection process, Bryson said the Rhodes Trust was looking for people who were original. 

She said she remained herself and had fun with it.

“It helped me in my process because it was so stressful,” Bryson said. “I was able to calm myself down.”

Bryson plans to go to Oxford University for one year before returning to Georgetown to continue her program. Her ultimate goal is to become an adviser to the president.