Social art project measures importance of campus sculptures

Yellow caution tape surrounded several University Art Museum sculptures sprinkled throughout campus during last semester’s finals week and a notice to remove artwork was posted in front of each sculpture.

The notice stated that the sculptures were to be removed and either relocated or demolished in order to “achieve aesthetic consistency” throughout the California State University campuses. It also said that the artwork would be replaced by statues of CSU presidents in order to commemorate their contributions to the CSU.

A Yahoo email address for the CSU Coalition for the Arts was the only form of contact listed on the notice, and a quick Internet search provided no information regarding the existence of this coalition. That’s because it doesn’t exist, and there was never an official plan to remove the UAM sculptures at all.

A group of four students in an intro to sculpture class conducted a project as a relational aesthetics assignment, which focused on art in its social context.

“We tried to think of something constructive, annoying and noticeable that would get people’s attention,” said Maximillian Piras, recent studio art graduate and member of the group. “We were really trying to test their relatability to the campus since a lot of people say they don’t get postmodern sculpture.”

Another aspect of the project involved the idea of limiting freedom of expression, as in a police state. Most of the emails that were sent were to see why the current UAM statues were a problem and how statues of CSU presidents would be a better replacement. Other emails simply asked for facts about the notice, and its legitimacy.

Piras said that when the group first thought of the idea, it was more of a joke, but then it developed into something more.

“[We] realized it would be constructive in terms of gauging a reaction of student body and staff,” he said. “As a case study in terms of seeing if anybody cares if these sculptures were going to get demolished or not.”

The reactions were overwhelmingly negative, as most people who emailed were against the removal of the sculptures. However, the quantity of responses was not as large as expected.

“I believe [the sculptures] go unnoticed every day when people walk by them,” said Anthony Pacheco, another member of the group and senior graphic design major.

Some students emailed saying that they did not even know some of the artwork were sculptures, for example Robert Irwin’s “Window Wall,” located near the Art Supply Store.

“[Students] really stopped by, read the notices and started questioning about the removing action,” said Chung Lun Wong, another group member and senior studio art major. “That’s what we wanted to see. Most of the students pass by those sculptures every day, but not all of them pay attention on those artworks. Our main goal was to let students view it as artwork in a museum instead of just simply passing by and seeing it like a campus decoration.”

The group also created a petition against the removal, to see if people would sign their name against such an action. Many students signed it and senior graphic design major Valentina Adramoda said she was surprised about how many people saw the notice and knew what she was talking about.

The project is completed, but the group is still trying to figure out how to apologize to the people who sent emails or attempted to take action against the fictitious removal.

“I’d like to thank the campus as a whole in participating, and specifically apologize to anybody who may have wasted their time in sending an appeal,” Piras said. “I’m trying to think of a cool way to make them feel good about participating as opposed to wasting their time.”

Ideas range from sending apology letters to sending a small piece of art to everyone who participated.