Engineering elevators to be fixed after generator failure, burnt motor

Two of three elevators in the Engineering and Computer Sciences building are out of order after breaking down on Monday.

According to Steve Skube, elevator service technician for ThyssenKrupp Elevator Americas, elevator No. 3, on the left, had a generator failure, and, elevator No. 2, in the middle, had a drive motor that overheated. 

No one was in the elevators at the time. Currently, elevator No. 2 is stuck between floors where it stopped on Monday, Skube said.

This malfunction happened less than 3 months after a tragic elevator accident in the Cal State Long Beach Foundations building killed Annette Lujan, an Office of University Research employee. 

Senior mechanical engineering major Sam Schallberger said he thinks the occurrence is weird but that it is expected to happen from time to time. He said he’s not worried for his safety.

Skube said the building was built around 1987 and that, even with maintenance, there are going to be problems. He said they have recently been making repairs to the elevators as things break down, and they are now in the process of fixing the two elevators.

Only elevator No. 1, on the right, is currently running. According to Skube, one of the broken elevators will probably be working again either today or Thursday, and the other will probably be working in about a week.

“It’s probably going to be about a week or so,” Skube said. “I’m just estimating.”