Reduced-cost eTextbooks available for rent in the fall

More than 5,000 eTextbooks will be available next fall at a reduced cost of 60 percent or more, compared to printed books, as part of a systemwide digital textbook rental program.

The reduced rates for eTextbooks is a result of a partnership between the Cal State University and Cengage Learning, CourseSmart and Follett.

“This program will ease the financial burden on students by providing access to quality online materials that are priced significantly lower than traditional textbooks,” Gerry Hanley, senior director of CSU Academic Technology Services, said in a press release.

In an effort to improve the learning outcome for students, the eTextbook files were improved to have features such as online and offline access, highlighting capabilities and the ability to take notes in the margin. They are also available for use in various devices, such as laptops, desktops and tablets, and can be rented at the University Bookstore.

Allysen Valencia, a senior history and geography double major, said these eTextbook features seem appealing.

“I think it’s a cool idea because you can’t really do that with a lot of the stuff online,” she said. “I haven’t used [eBooks] before, but those features make it very appealing to me.”

Not all students see the idea of eTextbooks as particularly appealing.

“Students have to bring laptops and other digital devices [to class] and this could lead you to get distracted, doing something else,” philosophy major Ju-min Lee said. “However, if it has a huge amount of price gap between hard copy and eTextbook, I would consider renting digital textbooks.”

Still some students simply prefer traditional textbooks.

“I prefer the old school style of flipping through the pages and marking the actual book,” sophomore mechanical engineering major Jacob Giindi said. “If it was significantly cheaper than actual books, then I might consider it.”

One of the concerns regarding the eTextbook rentals is the impact they may have on the bookstore. 

“It is true that eTextbooks will have an impact on bookstores,” CSU spokesman Erik Fallis said. “However, at this point, we don’t know the impact it would have on bookstores because that will depend on the choices students and faculty make.”

The CSU’s digital rental program is a part of the Affordable Learning Solutions initiative, which aims to provide choice, affordability and accessibility to course materials.