CSULB cart taken for a joyride

Three students took a white, two-seater Yamaha cart on March 8 at about 4 p.m., University Police Lt. Christopher Schivley said. 

The cart was left unattended and was taken from the south side of the Social Sciences and Public Administration building, Schivley said.

The cart, valued at about $300, was initially reported as stolen until University Police found the students joyriding in Lot 16. 

The three students, all in their 20s, were cited with a misdemeanor in malicious mischief for their joyride.

Not a great place to park a bike

A student reported his red, white and black Giant mountain bike stolen on March 6 from 9 p.m. to 12 a.m., Schivley said.

The student had locked his bike at the newly installed Park-a-Bike station at the southwest area of the Molecular and Life Sciences building with a U-lock.

When he returned, he found both his bike and the individual Park-a-Bike rack gone, Schivley said.

The Park-a-Bike racks are lined up individually in a row of ten and are secured by a single bolt, Schivley said. There were originally 10 stations at the MLSC location, which led University Police to believe that the suspect took both the bike rack and the bike.

The total estimated loss for the bike alone is $601, Schivley said.

Unwanted visitor at Union Weekly

Students at the Union Weekly asked University Police to speak with an unwanted visitor at their office on March 8 at 3:48 p.m., Schivley said.

Students said the suspect stopped by the office every day for a week and made them feel uncomfortable with the topics he spoke about, Schivley said. The suspect seemed emotionally unstable and is described as a 40-year-old overweight man, about 5 feet 9 inches tall, Schivley said. He also has black, curly hair in a bowl-cut style and carries a backpack.

Grand theft auto

A student reported his 1998 silver Honda civic stolen from Parking Structure 1 on March 1 between 1 and 2 p.m., Schivley said.

The Honda was valued at more than $4,000 because of modifications and custom rims done on the vehicle, Schivley said.

The vehicle was recently recovered in Los Angeles by the LA Police Department with minor stripping done to the modified parts. University Police and the LAPD have no suspects, and no one is currently in custody, Schivley said.

Minor scuffle in the Gold Mine Gym

A community service officer (CSO) reported a disturbance of peace in the Gold Mine Gym on March 2 at 5 p.m., Schivley said.

Twenty people were found making loud noises and kicking a clipboard after they were asked to leave.

When a CSO approached the group, one of the members pushed him, Schivley said.

CSOs detained eight people who were not students and held them for further questioning that day. They were later released once the investigation was over, Schivley said.

Purse stolen

A student reported her purse stolen from her car between March 4 and 5, Schivley said.

University Police had arrested the student and charged her with driving under the influence. When the student retrieved her impounded vehicle, she found that her purse was missing, Schivley said.

The loss included an Apple iPhone 4s, driver’s license, identification cards and two debit cards. The total estimated loss is valued at $714, Schivley said.

Outreach Clinic break-in

An employee at the Clinic of Counseling in the Education 2 building reported a burglary on March 4, Schivley said.

Cash in the amount of $399 was taken from a locked and secured room in the building, Schivley said. A prying tool was used, but there are currently no suspects. An investigation is still underway, Schivley said.