Study abroad expo hypes affordability, new experiences

The Study Abroad office held its fifth annual study abroad expo on Wednesday to encourage more students to learn in other countries by addressing common misconceptions about cost, among other things.

In the 2010-11 school year, 733 students studied abroad, compared to more than 800 students in 2009-10. 

“I wish there would be more students who study abroad,” said Cecilia Fidora, assistant director of the Study Abroad office. “In a school of 35,000 students, I wish about 1,000 students would go but we are not quite there.”

The expo, held in Maxson Plaza, featured independent study abroad providers outside of Cal State Long Beach, such as Semester at Sea and Go Global. The Financial Aid office, Passport office and the Study Abroad office also had booths to answer any questions from students interested in traveling. 

Program representatives and alumni were also there to answer any misconceptions students have such as affordability or high GPA requirements.

“It is a myth that it costs too much,” Fidora said. “You are not going there as a tourist, you are going as a student.”

Fidora said that some people don’t realize it’s sometimes cheaper to study in a different country than in the U.S

“Housing tends to be cheaper and students get discounts in transportation, among other things,” she said. “Not many people realize some countries are actually cheaper to study in compared to here in Long Beach, because California is more expensive than people know.”

There are many programs students can select from, but the Direct Exchange program, which is a semester long, is the most popular. 

“I picked the semester program because it was half the money and commitment,” said Jen Huynh, a senior business major who went to Finland. “I wish I could have stayed longer though.”

Huynh said that her short stay was a life-changing experience, and she made lasting friendships with people from all over the world. 

Fidora said that when students come back from studying abroad, they are changed for the better. 

“When people come back, they have changed,” she said. “They are more confident, they have more poise, and more flexibility. It’s not just hair or their clothes. They have just grown up.”