Fewer students sign up for Condition for Tuition

Fewer students have signed up this semester to participate in Owen’s Condition for Tuition, a 10-week program at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center that offers a grand prize of free tuition for one semester.

Nearly 800 participants signed up this semester, a decrease from the more than 1,100 students enrolled last semester.

According to Christina Esparza, Associated Students Inc. communications coordinator, the amount of people who signed up decreased even though the sign-up period was extended a week.

Condition for Tuition is sponsored by Josh Owen, chief executive of Owen’s Trimodal in Long Beach.

“[Owen] wanted to give an opportunity for students to have the incentive to be healthy because he knows it can be really tough when students have busy schedules,” Esparza said.
Junior engineering major Kevin Lee said he was unaware of the program but was interested in the idea.

“I work out at the rec center sometimes, but I think [Condition for Tuition] would have definitely encouraged me to go more often,” Lee said.

Others said the incentive wasn’t good enough for them to go out of their way to work out at the SRWC.

“It’s all for a good cause really, but I have a gym that’s closer to my job and I live in Whittier, so commuting at night just for a workout would be a hassle,” junior chemistry major Antony Caruso said.

The Condition for Tuition contest consists of students earning points over a 12-week period for engaging in all the different aspects of fitness that the SRWC offers.

Last year’s grand prize-winner, sophomore biology major Kurt Lang, won $3,120 to pay for his spring semester’s fees.