Car caught on fire in Parking Lot 11A

A 2001 black Volkswagen Super Beetle was fully engulfed in flames in Parking Lot 11A near Parking Structure 3 on March 27 at 6:30 p.m., University Police Capt. Scott Brown said.

The driver pulled into the parking lot once she noticed that there was smoke coming from the hood of her car and jumped out, Brown said.

The Long Beach Fire Department arrived on scene and an electrical problem was determined to have caused the fire, Brown said. No one was injured.

Fights in the library

Two students were caught in a verbal confrontation that led to threats of physical abuse in the Spidell Technology Center of the University Library on March 20 at about 9:30 p.m., Brown said.

The confrontation seemed to be about one student’s sister, though no further information on that subject is known. One student threatened the other by stating he was “Batman, [I’ll] knock you out,” Brown said.

University Police arrived in time to make sure no physical harm was done and both subjects were advised to leave, Brown said.

A report of an assault and battery occurred on March 21 at 7:50 p.m. in the computer area of the library, Brown said.

Two students were arguing when it became physical and was reported to University Police. One student stated that the other had punched her face and pulled her hair, Brown said.

The argument concluded with a private person’s arrest, where the victim signed a statement stating the events occurred even though the police were not present, Brown said.

The suspect was taken to the University Police station and was released after being cited.

Tampering with smoke detectors

A complaint for marijuana in the Los Cerritos Residence Halls was filed on March 21 at about 11 p.m., Brown said.

When University Police arrived, there was no marijuana found in the student’s dorm, but the resident was cited for tampering with the fire alarm, Brown said.

Protesters cause a ruckus

Three subjects were seen holding anti-Muslim signs near the Faculty Office 3 building on March 20 at 11:50 a.m., Brown said.

Many students had gathered to let the protesters know that they were not welcome at Cal State Long Beach, which led to the arrival of University Police, Brown said.

Although many students did not agree with the protesters’ views, the group had previously been on campus and got clearance to be here under their First Amendment right to free speech, Brown said.

University Police stayed during the protest to monitor activity and keep the peace.

Psychology building trespass

A CSULB employee reported a trespassing person in the Psychology building on March 19 at 12:22 a.m., Brown said.

The employee had asked the man to leave because he was not permitted to be in the room at that time, but when the man repeatedly refused, University Police were called to the scene.

When the officers arrived on scene, the man continued his refusal to leave. A slight scuffle occurred and, in the end, he was arrested for assault of a Peace Officer, Brown said.

Vehicle Impounded

A white Mercedes Benz ML550 SUV was impounded on March 23 at 1 p.m. in Parking Lot 3, Brown said.

The vehicle’s registration had been expired for over 2 years, Brown said. 

Art locker room vandalized

New graffiti was found in Art Department locker room 124 in the Fine Arts 4 building on March 19 at 4:40 a.m., Brown said.

Although the locker rooms are a well-known area for graffiti, it is technically not permitted, Brown said.