SRWC holds Zumba fundraiser

The Student Recreation and Wellness Center will be hosting a Zumba Jam fundraiser on Thursday where participants must bring one canned good for each hour they attend.

The collections will be donated to charity.

The Zumba Jam will feature five different rotating Zumba instructors for a two-hour fitness class.

The Zumba Jam will be held in the main gym from 5 to 7 p.m.

Maureen MacRae, fitness coordinator at the SRWC, said that the Zumba theme was chosen for the fundraiser due to its growing popularity.

“We wanted to pick something that was easy for everyone to do,” MacRae said.

MacRae said the reason for multiple Zumba instructors is to give each instructor an opportunity to teach the class with their own style.

The main instructor is Heather Mazzei, but the other instructors will also be there to assist.

The fundraiser will feature a raffle prize giveaway with the main prize of a free summer gym membership. The first 20 people will receive a free giveaway.

Other prizes include T-shirts, backpacks and gift certificates.

MacRae said realistically she expects to have more than 50 participants.

All members of the SRWC are encouraged to participate and non-members can pay a guest fee to participate.

All of the canned food will go to the Long Beach Ronald McDonald House, which opened December 2011.

The Ronald McDonald House provides aid to children and their families nationwide.

“We decided to pick them because they’re newly opened in Long Beach,” MacRae said. “We just like to find different types of ways to give back.”