Students make time for taxes

The stress of filing taxes is over, at least for those who managed to turn their forms in on time.

Regardless of the extended deadline, some students, like sophomore biology major Tyler Rivera, struggle to find time.

“I have my forms and stuff, but I ended up procrastinating and never just sat down and got it over with,” Rivera said. “It’s just one of the last things on my mind at the moment, with registration and finals coming up.”

Junior chemistry major Amanda Campos said she hasn’t filed her taxes either, but she plans to submit an application for an extension.

“My mom always told me that filing taxes is one of the most stressful things to do, and honestly, I totally understand what she’s saying now,” Campos said.

Some students remembered to plan ahead. Sophomore art history major Monica Tang said she filed her taxes earlier last month and is completely focused on schoolwork.

“I knew that if I didn’t do it as soon as I was able to get everything, then I would be stressing out just before the due date,” Tang said. “It happened a few times in the past.”

Sophomore English major Alyssa Meir said she also learned her lesson in previous years.

“I procrastinate a lot during school, but getting all that stuff done with taxes is an entirely different thing,” Meir said. “Last year, I was stressing out over taxes and school, and I figured that I should get my taxes done while the workload was light.”

For those who haven’t delivered the mail yet and don’t plan to use e-filing, post offices countrywide will not have extended business hours during tax day, which is today.

Brian Graham, a junior economics major, said he’s willing to take the chance.

“I plan on rushing over [to the post office] tomorrow,” he said. “So best of luck to me and others who procrastinated until the very end.”