Latino group to hold healthy living conference

The Cal State Long Beach Center for Latino Community Health, Evaluation and Leadership Training will hold its first annual conference on health equity Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the University Student Union ballrooms.

The conference, Strengthening Health Sciences with Culture/ Fortaleciendo las Ciencias de la Salud con Cultura, is designed to provide a unique opportunity for Latinos and other minorities to collaborate with each other and promote healthy living in honor of National Minority Health Month.

The conference will include a discussion of sexual and reproductive health, obesity and diabetes, and the effectiveness of culturally tailored intervention strategies, according to Center for Latino Community Health Research Associate Mayra Rascon.

“We are thrilled to bring these renowned public health researchers to CSULB,” Britt Rios-Eillis, the director of the center, said. “This cadre of researchers and public health professionals will provide the conference audience with cutting-edge research and opportunities in Latino community health.”

Rios-Ellis said she was confident attendees would take away a great deal of knowledge and skill from the conference that could be applied to their work in underserved Latino communities.

The Center for Latino Community Health, established in 2005, is a community-based organization that provides technical assistance to organizations interested in serving the health needs of Latinos.

The center was formed as the result of a collaboration between CSULB and the Institute for Hispanic Health at National Council of La Raza. This Friday’s health equity conference was organized by the Hispanic Health Opportunities Learning Alliance grant, which was funded by the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities.

“I think any student interested in research would benefit from the information,” said Melawhy Garcia, associate director of the center.

Although the main focus of the conference and the center’s other activities is on the Latino community, the Center for Latino Community Health has information available that may benefit other minorities.

The center provides opportunities for networking, research and professional development to all students, Garcia said.

Friday’s conference will have a table set up for students to learn more about internships, campus activities and other opportunities available at the center.

Approximately 250 people are expected to attend Friday’s conference.

Registration for the conference is free and will take place from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. Complimentary breakfast and lunch will be provided.

The next CSULB Latino health equity conference is scheduled for Sept. 27, 2012.