Students flock to Aquarium on Wheels

Students gathered in front of Peterson Hall 1 to see the Aquarium on Wheels, a mobile exhibit housing sea urchins, sea cucumbers, anemones and a shark, as part of Earth Week activities on Wednesday.

The exhibit – a tide pool inside of a box truck – allowed visitors to touch various sea animals. Three assistants from the Aquarium of the Pacific were available to answer questions.

The Aquarium on Wheels was part of a weeklong effort by the Associated Students Inc. Conservation Commission to raise awareness of eco-friendly efforts, both on and off campus.

Lynh Nguyen, a senior Asian American studies major, said she was impressed as she left the exhibit.

“I thought it was cool,” Nguyen said. “The sea anemone was pretty cool because I’d never felt one. It sticks to your finger a little bit.”

David Coyne, a senior illustrations major, said he was partial to the swell shark, which seemed to be a favorite of many students coming out of the exhibit.

English majors Hang Tran and Anthony Alaimalo waited outside for their chance to enter as the exhibit was arranged. Tran enjoyed the experience while Alaimalo had mixed feelings.

“Those things are scary,” Alaimalo said. “I didn’t want to touch any of them.”

The Aquarium on Wheels has been part of Long Beach’s Aquarium of the Pacific for about eight years. It’s used five days a week, mainly for visiting elementary schools and preschools.

Still, the exhibit was quite the attraction as around 80 people visited the aquarium within 30 minutes of opening its doors.

“Even though the aquarium does target a younger audience, I figured anyone our age would be very much interested,” Thuy Nghiem, ASI Conservation Commissioner said. “This is something that’s in our backyard, and we should take care of it as much as we can because our fate depends on their fate.”

Today, forums, panels and about 20 information tables highlighting campus and community efforts to raise awareness of sustainability efforts will be in the University Student Union from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.