Construction projects set for summer

Three campus construction projects are set for completion this summer, according to the Campus Planning Committee.

These projects include construction in and around the Bob Cole Conservatory of Music Pavilion, in Pyramid locker rooms and, East Campus Drive safety improvements.

The donor-funded Bob Cole Conservatory of Music Pavilion project features a pathway that will connect the new entry plaza to the pavilion.

According to a committee document, the project also includes a new terrace seating area adjacent to the music practice rooms, improvements to the upper terrace landscaping and a 1,632-square-foot renovation within the administrative music building.

Construction started last September and cost about $2.5 million.

“The money was provided by a donor,” said David Salazar, associate vice president of Physical Planning and Facilities Management. “As a donor-funded project, the money for the Cole Project was provided and focused on the music department.”

The Pyramid locker rooms project, which was funded by a donation to the Athletics Department, will be completed by July of this year.

Construction will expand and renovate the existing men and women’s basketball and volleyball locker rooms in the Walter Pyramid.

The project will renovate approximately 6,400 square feet of space and upgrade facilities for student athletes competing in the Big West Conference.

The East Campus Drive Safety improvements project will provide a continuous sidewalk from Seventh Street to the east turnaround on the west side of East Campus Drive.

On the east side of the roadway, the existing landscape areas will be filled with additional landscaping to screen views into the neighboring properties, and new groundcover will be installed to remove the existing foot paths.

The Campus Planning Committee meets twice a year to present new projects that are submitted to the chancellor on a five-year capital program.

The committee is made up of students and faculty, and chaired by President F. King Alexander.