Fulbright scholar to study the history of Braceros

Growing up in south central Los Angeles, Cal State Long Beach alumna Liliana Montalvo never expected to have the opportunity to conduct research in Mexico for a year.

Montalvo, 22, was in the process of graduating from Cal State Long Beach with a bachelor’s in history this May when she applied for the Fulbright program, which provides educational exchanges for graduating college seniors, graduate students, young professionals and artists who exhibit academic merit and leadership potential.

Montalvo’s interest in the Bracero Program – a program that solicited Mexican laborers to come and work in the United States from 1945 to 1965 – compelled her to apply for the research grant.

The word “Bracero” in Spanish describes a person who works with their hands and arms.

“I started talking to [the Braceros] and hearing their stories, and I became very interested,” Montalvo said.

Through research, Montalvo discovered that her grandfather was a Bracero. Montalvo said her questions revolve around what influenced some Braceros to stay in the United States and what caused others to move back to Mexico. Montalvo exemplifies this transition.

“I’m an American citizen, not a Mexican citizen,” Montalvo said.

Montalvo’s Fulbright grant will give her access to newly available digitalized government documents pertaining to the Bracero exchange. Montalvo said she is interested in seeing how the government documents and oral histories correlate.
According to Montalvo, oral history is the process of finding out about history through talking to everyday people, marginalizing the perspective of the elite.

“It’s about finding out how people fit the bigger narrative of history,” she said.

While in Mexico, Montalvo said she wants to reconnect with family. She has a few great uncles who are in their 90s, and she wants to hear their stories about her grandfather and his Bracero experience.

In order to receive the Fulbright grant, Montalvo submitted a grand proposal and a statement of purpose declaring her intention to research the newly digitalized Bracero documents.

A panel composed of 12 members chosen by President Obama approved Montalvo’s proposal and statement. Spanish scholars from Mexico City then interviewed Montalvo via Skype.

The Fulbright grant will cover Montalvo’s living expenses, research and books. Montalvo said this experience is surreal, because the allowance for her research surpasses her current economic situation.

Montalvo grew up in south central Los Angles where she said her high school class held over 1,000 students, but only a few hundred graduated.

“We were happy we made it past 18 and didn’t get pregnant. We beat the statistics,” Ana Cruz, junior international studies major and friend of Montalvo, said.

Montalvo said she prepared for herself a plan A, B and C when applying for the grant. Plan A was to get the grant and research in Mexico. Plan B was to spread out her classes and stay in school for another year. Plan C was to attend a plumbing vocational school.

“We need skills in this world,” Montalvo said, “I can make money and break gender barriers [being a plumber].”
Assistant professor of history, Ali Igmen, said Montalvo is very engaged and displays leadership in her various endeavors.

“Lili goes above and beyond what a typical student does,” Igmen said.