Long Beach Transit buses end service in Seal Beach

After racially sensitive comments disrupted a community meeting in Seal Beach, Long Beach Transit decided to no longer provide service to the city. The cut will start at the end of August.

The meeting in May was designed to discuss alternative bus routes in the city. Instead, Long Beach Transit (LBT) officials said residents expressed concerns about “colorful” people coming into Seal Beach.

Two days after the meeting, LBT President and CEO Laurence W. Jackson sent a letter to the Seal Beach city manager that described the meeting as “rude and unprofessional.”

In the letter, Jackson said it was made clear during the meeting that LBT services and its customers are not welcomed in Seal Beach.

Jackson ended the letter stating that all transit services to Seal Beach will cease starting Aug. 26 in the best interest of LBT. He also addressed the possibility of making things work in the future.

Cal State Long Beach students who normally take the LBT bus to and from Seal Beach will have to adjust to LBT’s decision in time for fall semester.

“That’s awful news for me, considering that I sometimes rely on the bus as my only form of transportation to work and school,” said Michael McGrath, a senior outdoor recreation major. “My two roommates and I often use the bus to get to campus and to save gas money.”

Patrick McDuffie, a senior marketing major, said he is also upset that LBT will be stopping service in Seal Beach.

“It’s ridiculous to get rid of it,” McDuffie said.

Instead of buying a parking pass, McDuffie said he would use other methods of transportation.

“I will probably have to skate to and from school now,” he said. “Great.”

Morgan Sedra, a sophomore liberal studies major, said without the LBT service to Seal Beach, many will struggle to get to work and school.

“Without this bus route, so many people will lose the convenience and reliability of getting to work and school, even enjoying a day at the beach,” Sedra said.

Students needing to travel to Seal Beach will have to take Orange County Transportation Authority buses at the city limits.