Bike Fixit Stations park at CSULB

Cal State Long Beach plans to install three bike-repair stations right before the beginning of fall semester.

Elissa Thomas, the sustainable transportation program coordinator at CSULB, first saw the Dero Bike “Fixit” Air and Repair Stations at University of California, Davis when she attended a conference there last summer. While there, she realized there was a need for Fixit Stations at CSULB.

Currently there’s only one bike pump available for campus cyclists to use in case of flat tires, and it is located in Thomas’ office. Before she had the bike pump, Thomas would drive students and their bikes off campus to fill their tires with air at a nearby gas station.

“There needs to be, with the number of cyclists we have on campus, somewhere that you can pump air into your bike 24/7,” Thomas said.

She said that at any given time, CSULB’s peak ridership is about 5,000 cyclists.

The Fixit Stations will be installed next to the library, the Student Recreation and Wellness Center and the residence halls. Each station has a tire pump and tools, which are attached to the station with cables.

In addition to the stations’ services, students can use their smart phones to scan QR codes on the Fixit Stations, which will bring up repair instructions on their phones. The Fixit Stations cost $900 each, and they were funded by the Department of Physical Planning and Facilities Management.

Brian Kuckowicz, a senior business management major, said he rides his bike to school often and thinks the Fixit Stations are a great idea.

“I’d definitely be able to use those, because a couple of times I’ve gotten flat tires,” Kuckowicz said. “It’ll definitely help out all the students.”

Kyrenne Chua, a junior civil engineering major, said she thought that the tools at the stations could get stolen.

“I know a lot of people in the dorms get their bikes and stuff stolen,” Chua said.

Thomas said that unfortunately, tool theft could happen.

“There’s always a chance that you’re going to get some jerk who will cut the cable and take a tool,” Thomas said. “But hopefully people won’t be jerks about that, because it’s kind of a gift for everyone on campus that rides their bike. “

According to Thomas, the tools are relatively inexpensive and could be replaced if stolen.

Bike safety clinics, workshops that inform students on how to fix their bikes and ride safely, will be offered the second Wednesday of each month at the Fixit Stations from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and will be led by bike mechanics from Jax’s Bicylcle Shop on Bellflower Boulevard.

Thomas said the future plans to make CSULB even more bike friendly include working with the city of Long Beach to add bike lanes on Bellflower Boulevard between Atherton and Seventh Street.

For questions or concerns about the Fixit Stations, students can contact Thomas at (562) 985-4091 or [email protected].