Cal State Long Beach increases unit cap due to open enrollment

As of Thursday, Cal State Long Beach students may now add up to 18 units for the fall semester.

The decision to increase the unit cap from 16 to 18 units was made Aug. 20 after courses still had open spots, according to Lynn Mahoney, associate vice president of undergraduate studies.

“We did this [unit cap] because budgets are tight, and we wanted everyone to get their first pass at getting the classes they needed,” Mahoney said. “Then we looked at enrollment, and we still had spaces, so we opened enrollment up.”

In March, CSULB Provost Donald Para sent an email to staff and faculty announcing that students could initially sign up for only 13 units and then pick up additional units in August for the fall semester. The unit cap was in response to the possible $250 million cut in state support, according to Para’s email.

No decisions have been made about a unit cap for the spring semester.

“We all have to be patient as the university works hard to ensure student access during an unprecedented budget crisis,” Mahoney said.

With future state support riding on the November election, some students said that Thursday’s announcement was unexpected.

“I was, first of all, surprised, considering that we were all originally expecting only 13 units and planning out classes around the cap,” Katy Thomson, a senior sociology major, said. “But I was also glad that more classes became available so that everyone who needs to, can graduate sooner.”

Senior philosophy major Tyler Moran expressed concern that CSULB officials were making the decision only days before the fall semester started.

“There appears to be some inconsistency in what is being said and done,” Morand said.

Sarah Sherman, a senior human development major, said she doesn’t necessarily think the new cap is helpful for all students.

“I think a 19 unit cap would work better to incorporate all of the students enrolled in 16 units already,” Sherman said. “So, even if I wanted to add another class, I couldn’t even do it.”