Legislation would ban anti-gay therapy

Legislation seeking to ban reparative sexual orientation therapy in patients younger than 18 has passed the State Assembly with a vote of 52-21.

Senate Bill 1172 would prevent a type of reparative therapy that claims to “convert or repair” a person’s sexual orientation.

If the bill passes, any mental health providers who attempt sexual orientation change efforts on minors would be subject to disciplinary action.

However, the bill does not apply to reparative therapy within religious organizations.

Sherry Span, professor of psychology at Cal State Long Beach, said homosexuality is considered a valid sexual orientation.

According to the American Psychological Association, being lesbian, gay or bisexual is not a disease, disorder, illness, deficiency or shortcoming.

“It makes sense that individuals could be distressed because of the prejudices and pressures in society,” Span said.

Span also said that it is a psychologist’s job to help the individual to accept his or her sexual orientation and feel comfortable with it.

“Gay, lesbian and bisexual individuals grow up in our society, and the homophobia is there,” Span said.

Many CSULB students were unaware of the legislation but said they felt the ban would be a good measure for California.

“I would hope it would be banned, especially in the case of minors; growing up in our society is hard enough already,” junior Paola Redondo said.

According to Span, the practice of reparative therapy is mostly tied to religious organizations or individuals with a religious background.

Junior Jose Quintero said the legislation was a “touchy subject” considering religious controversies but ultimately protected minors.

“The Bible says what it says about homosexuality,” Quintero said. “But if it’s just the matter of banning the action of forcing it on a minor, forcing anything on anyone is bad, so in that sense I would be for the ban.”

The bill is now on Gov. Jerry Brown’s desk waiting to be signed. The bill must be signed by the end of the month.

If Brown signs the legislation, voters will see the bill on the voting ballot this November.