CSU protestor given $23,766 restitution fine

Seth Newmeyer, the University of California, Los Angeles student charged with breaking the glass doors to the Cal State University Chancellor’s Office last fall, was given a restitution of $23,766 this morning for his crime.

The student’s sentencing, however, was postponed until Friday.

Deputy Public Defender Jinelle Mitrovich, who represented Newmeyer in court, motioned for a retrial of the case but was struck down by Judge Charles D. Sheldon, who said Newmeyer had received a fair trial.

Newmeyer’s conviction stems from his involvement in a clash between protestors and police at the CSU Chancellor’s Office in November when students rallied against the CSU Board of Trustees for voting on a 9 percent tuition increase.

During the clash, the doors to the Chancellor’s Office shattered and cut a police officer’s arm. Police targeted Newmeyer as the one responsible for breaking the door.

Newmeyer was found guilty of the charge in court on Sept. 20. His restitution fee, which must be paid to the CSU, covers the cost of replacing the glass doors.

During an address to the court, Newmeyer described himself as a “positive member of the educational advocacy community” and said he has changed since the Board meeting in November.

“I deeply regret what I did,” he said. “I have learned to remove myself from conflict whenever it arises.”

Newmeyer said he was disappointed that no officers from the protest stood trial for brutality charges.

He also said that he had an unwarranted disadvantage in the trial because the prosecutor was from “higher up on the food chain” than is normally assigned in cases similar to his.

Mitrovich called the restitution “unfair” and argued that Newmeyer shouldn’t be charged the entire replacement cost of the two doors when he only bent the doors’ locking mechanism.

City prosecutor Randall Fudge said fixing the mechanism required the doors to be replaced, making Newmeyer responsible for most costs associated with them.

CSU Operations Manager Leonard Pettis verified the need for the work done to the Chancellor’s Office doors and cost of the procedures.

Fudge said Newmeyer was “articulate” and “very bright” but he should be held responsible for the replacement costs regardless.

“This is not an intellectual exercise we’re involved with,” he said. “There are real life consequences.”

Fudge said he did not want Newmeyer sentenced to jail time and suggested that the student perform 45 days of service at Caltrans, be put on three years of probation and ordered to stay away from the Chancellor’s Office.

Mitrovich said Caltrans service is difficult for college students to work with because it requires a full eight-hour day, which she said is hard to schedule around classes.

Newmeyer’s sentencing has been postponed so Mitrovich can provide Judge Sheldon with information on the community service organizations Newmeyer would prefer to work with.