Student protestor sentenced to community service

University of California, Los Angeles student Seth Newmeyer was sentenced today to 45 days of community service for breaking two glass doors at the Cal Sate University Chancellor’s Office in November.

Newmeyer will perform his community service with Caltrans, an eight-hour per day program that conducts service on freeways, and pay a restitution fine of $23,766 to cover the reparations necessary to fix the broken doors. Newmeyer is expected to complete one day of service each week before he goes back to court on Nov. 16.

Newmeyer is required to report to Judge Laura Laesecke to show of his completion of at least seven days of community service by his next court date.

Judge Charles D. Sheldon oversaw the trial.

“It’s a wonder he’s not in jail,” Sheldon said during the sentencing.

Newmeyer was found guilty for breaking the two doors at the Nov. 16 Board of Trustees meeting, where a group of protestors gathered to speak against the Board voting on a 9 percent tuition increase. A clash between police and protestors prompted the shattering of a glass door, which cut an officer’s arm. Newmeyer was targeted as the one responsible for the door.

If Newmeyer does not pay his restitution fine in the time required, 10 percent interest will be added to the fine for each year that he does not pay, City Prosecutor Randall Fudge said.

“We looked into considering many things, [including] his age, that he’s a protestor,” Fudge said. “Nonetheless, damage was done. We are not upset for the protesting.”

Newmeyer and Deputy Public Defender Jinelle Mitrovich were not available for comment.