CSULB students work toward humanitarian relief in Syria

Two Cal State Long Beach students are offering humanitarian efforts to the largest refugee camp along the Syrian-Jordanian border – Al-Zaatari.

International studies graduate Dina Alhayek, sophomore international studies major Jordan Hattar and Jordanian volunteers are documenting their humanitarian aid online, which began Thursday and will continue to Dec.15.

Alhayek and Hattar met through CSULB’s Model United Nations club last fall. However, it was not until this fall when Alhayek interned at the United Nation’s Relief and Works Agency in Jordan that Hattar decided to start their project.

The two students said their inspiration for the project sprouted from their passion for humanitarian aid, Jordanian background and a goal to bring awareness to the untold stories of refugees’ lives.

“Refugee situations are very scary, and refugees are often in dire need for the very basics,” Alhayek said. “They are normal people, like you and I, who have undergone abnormal or irregular circumstances which they could not control. [Hattar] and I, being of Arabic background ourselves, have been able to somewhat personalize this issue.”

Alhayek said that her experiences interning at the UNRWA and in Jordan have really helped her to see the worldwide significance of humanitarian issues.

“Working in refugee camps with Palestinian refugees – the longest refugee issue in UN history – has painted for me a picture of what a long-term refugee situation can look like,” Alhayek said. “While fighting for democracy is a wonderful venture, we must also be aware [that it] … has costs hundreds of thousands of people. Many refugees barely escaped, taking only the clothes on their back.”

Hattar’s Arabic professor, Iman Hashem, also inspired him to participate in the project. Hattar learned about Syria through Hahsem’s experiences.

“She humanized the people suffering in Syria for me, and so the least I could do is try to alleviate some of the suffering, and maybe I will be able to inspire others to take a stand,” Hattar said.

Hattar and Alhayek are taking donations for the humanitarian aid.

“My goal is to raise $10,000. So far, I’ve raised almost $1,000,” Hattar said. “This includes medical supplies, emergency medical treatment, food, blankets and so on.”

Although money is an important asset in the duo’s mission, they said that bringing awareness to the issue is also important for their humanitarian efforts.

“Our personal goal in delivering aid to Al-Zaatari camp is to humanize the issue, to make it more familiar and to shed light on the situation in hopes that more people and potentially [Non Governmental Organizations] will be inspired to take action,” Alhayek said.

To follow the students’ journey or donate money, visit www.help4refugees.org.