New wave of Project OCEAN aims to raise suicide awareness

Students at Cal State Long Beach can now learn how to recognize early warning signs of suicide and save another person’s life by following three simple steps: question, persuade and refer (QPR).

QPR is the first in a series of free training sessions offered through Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), according to Jennifer Young, Project OCEAN Coordinator.

“The ultimate goal is to help students struggling with mental health issues understand that it is OK to not be OK,” she said.

Initially funded through a federal grant for three years from 2008 to 2011, Project OCEAN, a mental health initiative, was not offered during the 2011-12 academic year.

Suicide is the second leading cause of death across college campuses nationwide. Suicide awareness and prevention training has returned to CSULB through a 2012 federal grant after voters approved Proposition 63, which increased funding to mental health programs.

“Just as people who are trained in CPR and the Heimlich maneuver save thousands of lives each year, people trained in QPR will be able to recognize warning signs and delay the loss of life,” said ASI Secretary for Disability Affairs Andrew Carnes.

Any student who wants to attend a training session simply needs to notify CAPS of his or her interest.

ASI Senator-at-Large Manuel Nieto attended a similar training at an ASI retreat just over a year ago. He said that he feels better prepared to deal with the situations dealing with suicide since completing the training.

“I had never thought of suicide prevention before this, and the training opened my eyes to say, ‘Wow, there really are students who need help,'” Nieto said.

According to the American Psychological Association, one in four college students is on medication for mental health conditions, and more students are arriving on campus with pre-existing conditions than they were 10 years ago.

“Any number of factors such as depression, anxiety and stress from outside pressures can contribute to the ultimate end of wanting to end one’s life,” said Carnes, recalling recent encounters with friends or students on campus who were struggling with suicidal thoughts.

Assistant Dean of Students Jeanne Caveness strongly encouraged ASI leaders to attend the training at last week’s Senate meeting.

“I actually attended a session that was mixed; it was faculty, staff and students, and it was absolutely fabulous training,” Caveness said. “It was very practical and in all likelihood, you will use this information at some point in the future and you will be glad that you had this training.”

There will be a second wave of Project OCEAN that focuses on often overlooked, but equally serious problems, Young said.

“Suicide is a common emergency and one of the major ones, but there is also addiction and severe eating disorders so we’re training students to intervene with those situations as well,” she said.

Students are encouraged to come out for a free wellness screening on Tuesday, where they can learn healthy coping skills while making their own stress balls, and finger painting and squeezing tension away with sheets of bubble wrap.

There will also be a free Zumba class as well as a live deejay. The event will take place on the Southwest Terrace at the University Student Union from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.