Study: fewer students seek graduate degrees, possible debt discouraging

More college students in the United States are deciding not to pursue graduate studies, according to a report by a national research and advocacy group for graduate studies.

The Council of Graduate Schools conducted a Survey of Graduate Enrollment and Degrees, finding that the enrollment rate in master’s and doctoral programs was on the rise in 2008 and 2009, but it declined by 1.7 percent from 2010 to 2011.

The report also said that the economic crisis initially led unemployed workers to use graduate schools as a safety net while further establishing their competence for future job opportunities.

However, state budget cuts in recent years have generated reductions in financial aid for graduate students, making them think twice about prolonging their education and adding to the debt they acquired during their undergraduate years, the report said.

“Some declines are due to cyclical interest in certain fields,” Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and Dean of Graduate Studies Cecile Lindsay said via email. “For instance, enrollments in [Masters in Business Administration] programs are trending downward nationally and at CSULB. It is likely that enrollment declines will continue until the economy improves.”

Jason Lee, a senior architecture major at Cal State Long Beach, said that a graduate degree would look good on his resume as he plans to enter the job market, but financial difficulties would make it difficult for him to continue his education beyond his undergraduate studies.

“I honestly can’t blame anyone who wants to get a master’s degree,” Lee said. “But reality comes first. I just can’t pile on more debt for the sake of my education. My bachelor’s degree is costing me enough money as is.”

According to the Cal State University website, those seeking a graduate degree in the 23-campus system during the 2010-11 school year amounted to 48,588 . In 2011-12, 45,371 students in the CSU enrolled in graduate programs.

CSULB saw a decrease in graduate enrollment as well, with 4,599 students enrolling for a graduate degree in the 2010-11 school year compared to the 4,393 students who enrolled for a graduate degree in 2011-12.

“Enrollment in CSULB graduate programs has been declining gradually since 2008,” Lindsay said. “It had been growing from 2003 to 2008.”

According to the report, enrollment rates in graduate schools among American citizens and permanent residents have dropped by 2.3 percent. However, enrollment rates among international students, who compose 16.9 percent of all graduate students in the United States, rose by 7.8 percent.

Nearly half of all students enrolled in engineering, mathematics and computer science graduate programs in the U.S. are international students, with 45.5 percent in engineering and 42.5 percent in mathematics and computer science programs, according to the report.

The rising rate of enrollment among international students is expected to continue as foreign governments have created programs that provide funds to their citizens who study in American universities, particularly in technical areas such as engineering, mathematics and computer science.

“It’s simple for international students,” Ji-hyun Byun, an economy major and international student from South Korea, said. “They move to the United States from their home countries for the sole purpose of pursuing education.”

He also said international students pay a lot more in tuition compared to students who are citizens and permanent residents.

“For international students, financial issue comes second,” Byun said. “Our priority is to pursue the highest level of education, because that’s what we’re here for.”

A survey conducted by the Career Services Center of Western Washington University revealed that employment rate of master’s degree graduates is higher than the bachelor’s degree graduates, but the margin remained narrow at just seven percent. While 82 percent of master’s degree graduates were employed, 75 percent of bachelor’s degree graduates also found jobs upon graduation in 2010 and 2011.