ASI presses for more printers

Additional printing stations in the University Student Union and the Student Recreation and Wellness Center may allow students more places to print wirelessly in the near future.

Associated Students, Inc. Senator Angelica Cortez-Hernandez said she has received multiple requests from students about adding more printing stations. Students last semester and this semester have said how convenient it would be to have additional printing stations, according to Cortez-Hernandez.

“A lot of students work out and spend time at the SRWC, so it would be so much more convenient to have one in there,” she said.

Students currently have access to printing in two main locations: the library and the Horn Center, which are located on opposite ends of the campus.

Undeclared sophomore Emelie Holst said that printing at the beginning of the semester is not bad, but once midterms and finals approach, both locations are packed with students.

“It would be great if there were more places I could print wirelessly from, because right now I have to go all the way to the Horn Center,” Holst said. “My classes are mostly in the Language Arts buildings on upper campus.”

Cortez-Hernandez said there is one printing station in the University Student Union, but students need a USB cord to print at this station.

Junior communications major Shelby Reynolds said she doesn’t think walking across campus to print is a big deal, but she said that additional printers would be more convenient for students, especially when students are running late to class.

“If printers were put in that were more convenient, I would definitely use them,” Reynolds said.

ASI Senators David Rose and Cortez-Hernandez plan to meet with RoseAnn Knight, chair of the USU Board of Trustees, sometime this week to brainstorm ideas and discuss further plans.

The senators also plan to meet with College of Health and Human Services Dean Kenneth Millar to find the best way to implement a survey within the college, according to Rose. Rose said they want to get some feedback from students before they attempt to acquire funding for the print stations, and they hope to administer the survey by the end of this week.

If the students show enough interest, Rose and Cortez-Hernandez plan to talk with the USU about funding for the project, they said.