Hillside dining undergoes more changes

Cal State Long Beach’s Residential Dining Services is still looking to spruce up the student eateries by opening a previously closed patio section to students.

The opening comes in addition to the dining halls’ new menu and interior renovations.

The Hillside dining hall has lent its outside patio to various student events and housing activities. Prior to this semester, the sectioned-off outside area had not been accessible to students.

Housing Director Carol Roberts-Corb and Director of Dining Services for 49er Shops Melissa Devan said the outdoor patio has not been used because there was no effective method to secure it.

“Per fire codes, there needs to be a way for patrons to exit the facility from the patio,” Roberts-Corb said. “But, to ensure that non-residents could not enter through the patio door without a meal plan or without paying, a panic bar (alarm) needed to be installed so that patrons could exit in the event of an emergency.”

The alarm was fixed on Thursday, which is when the patio opened as well, Devan said.

Dorm residents said that the addition of an outdoor eating area would provide a nice break from eating indoors.

“I think the opening of the patio is great for the residents because it gives them a chance to experience their meals outside,” Malcolm Jackson, a resident assistant for Hillside, said. “It doesn’t always have to feel like a cafeteria when you go into the dining hall, so I think it is a great addition to the dining services. I’m [glad] that they are using it.”

Aside from opening the outdoor patio, the Hillside dining hall also decided to discontinue a student favorite – the omelet bar.

According to sophomore journalism major Shereen Dudar, the omelet bar may have caused a minor problem.

“I believe they had an issue with too much smoke, so they had to stop,” Dudar said.

Because the omelet bar was in an enclosed space, special equipment was needed to meet fire marshal standards, according to Devan.

“[They] had to eliminate all exhibition cooking due to fire marshal regulations,” Devan said. “We need a hood to do such cooking. As we look forward to the remodel in the future, this will be addressed.”

49er Shops has not announced any additional projects for the Hillside dining commons.