49ers film five-minute flicks

Cal State Long Beach moviemakers have the chance to see their films on the big screen but only for five minutes.

Campus Movie Fest, which has traveled to over 75 other universities, gives students the opportunity to produce a five-minute film in one week, providing those students with free equipment to use, according to CMF promotions manager Logan Williams.

“We always get very impressive films from CSULB and cannot wait to see what the student film makers have to show us this year,” Williams said.

According to the CSULB CMF website, students will be provided with students with Panasonic HD recorders, Apple laptops, moviemaking software, tech support and free training.

Students have one week to produce and edit their five-minute films, which will then be viewed by a panel of CSULB students, staff and faculty starting Oct. 22.

“It’s a great opportunity for all students, whether they are looking for exposure in the film industry, or just a fun campus activity,” Williams said.

Mia Wetmore, a junior journalism major, said the festival could be a great way to take her hobby and possibly make it into a career.

“I’m going for the gold; who wouldn’t?” she said. “I’m very competitive … I found myself looking at their past videos from even six years ago wanting to know who past winners were and why they got picked.”

Students will be awarded in categories of best picture, best comedy, best drama and recognition under the CMF Elfenworks Social Justice Category. Prizes include cash, a 12-month membership to Adobe Creative Cloud and Hollywood pitch meetings, according to Williams.

CMF added a new category this fall, the Norton Crime Drama category, after partnering with online security company Norton and the creator and executive producer of the “CSI” television series, Anthony E. Zuiker. The new category gives students a chance to tell stories from the world of crime and justice for a $10,000 cash prize.

An open red carpet finale will be hosted for the contest in the University Student Union Beach Auditorium at 7 p.m. on Oct. 25. The top 16 films will get the chance to advance to CMF Hollywood in June 2013.

Applications to participate in the event are due Tuesday. Students can sign up at www.campusmoviefest.com.