Beatnicks and cool cats lounge it out

Cal State Long Beach students can prepare to snap their fingers for a new line of artists at this month’s Poet’s Lounge later tonight.

Hosted by the University Student Union Program Council, the monthly event provides students with the opportunity to perform their latest works of poetry, spoken word, comedy and music on campus.

During the poetry session, students are encouraged to talk before a live audience about whatever is on their minds.
Anthony Gibson, a sophomore art illustration major, said that he plans to perform at the event.

“I have been practicing my latest work for over a month now in preparation for Poet’s Lounge,” Gibson said. “I’m kind of nervous but excited to get feedback while seeing other student works.”

Besides student performances, tonight’s Poet’s Lounge will also feature spoken word artist Gina Loring. Loring was also featured on HBO’s “Def Poetry,” a television series produced by hip-hop recording artist Russel Simmons, which highlights up-and-coming and established poets.

Loring is most known for her work as a poet of the American Embassy, and her accomplishments as an independent artist have garnered attention from her peers, including famed “Vagina Monologue” playwright Eve Ensler.

“Gina Loring is one of the best poets of her generation,” Ensler wrote on Loring’s website. “Her words are rich with humor, rage, and rhyme … Her heart is on fire.”

Gibson said that he is excited to see Loring.

“[Loring] making an appearance at this week’s Poets Lounge will hopefully get me the advice or feedback I need regarding my work,” he said.

Jimmy Aguilar, a junior sociology major, said that he is interested in the event and that he looks forward to meeting new people and seeing Loring perform.

“I would be interested in what the poets have to say, what they are talking about and [just] taking it in,” Aguilar said.

Poet’s Lounge will start tonight at 8 p.m. in the USU, room 103. For more information on Poet’s Lounge and other events, visit www.programcouncil.org.

Kathleen Sandoval contributed to this story.