Former Laker Earvin “Magic” Johnson to visit campus

After the success of last year’s student forum with Los Angeles Lakers announcer Stu Lantz, the University Student Union is inviting Earvin “Magic” Johnson to discuss his life journey at the Carpenter Performing Arts Center on Monday.

Johnson will talk about his road to success from being Michigan State’s star athlete and renowned NBA player to becoming what some people call the most powerful African-American businessman in America.

Within the two years he spent in college, Johnson led his team to a Big Ten Conference title and NCAA National Championship in 1979, the same year he was drafted as a first overall pick by the Lakers, where he developed his 13-year NBA career.

Johnson earned recognition as a 12-time All Star and nine-time member of the All-NBA First Team player and played alongside legendary Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Norm Nixon and Jamaal Wilkes.

After he was diagnosed with HIV in 1991, Johnson retired from the NBA and became an activist and founded Magic Johnson Enterprises in 1987. The company’s portfolio includes movie theaters, more than 100 Starbucks locations, Burger King franchises and 24 Hour Fitness Magic Sport centers.

USU program manager Keya Allen took part in the council that is bringing Johnson to campus. She said she sees a great opportunity for students to attend.

“We are setting the bar high and bringing popular speakers that the students want to see,” Allen said. “Mr. Johnson will be speaking about his time as a world class athlete, a person living with HIV, a strong community activist and a world renowned entrepreneur.”

Junior political science major Rodrigo Flores said is excited by the opportunity to take advice from Johnson.

“Johnson is a major sports icon in Los Angeles who’s had success in more than just sports,” Flores said. “Hearing any type of advice from a well-rounded and successful person is always good.”

Free tickets for students are available through Wednesday in the Beach Pride office. Students, faculty and staff can pick up their tickets on Thursday and Friday with a valid CSULB ID.