ABC’s of Chemistry

As a young inquisitive student, Stephen Mezyk was transfixed by multicolored chemicals as they danced in a test tube. He said these chemical rainbows made him want to pursue chemistry professionally.

Stephen Mezyk is a professor of chemistry and biochemistry at Cal State University Long Beach. He is involved in research, service projects and is recognized for his ability to make complex material easy to understand.

“My goal in every course is to present the required material in a thorough, logical way, but focus on the applications of the material to get my students to understand how what they are learning applies in the worlds,” Mezyk said.

Mezyk said his unique learning approach gets through to the students better than reciting facts out of the textbook.

Trevor Reutershan, a master’s student in the chemistry and applied mathematics programs, is working with Mezyk. He said Mezyk’s teaching style helped him with his highly mathematically involved research and solving problems.

“He was able to take advanced concepts and build them from the most elementary things possible,” Reutershan said. “He’ll start off with something simple and he can show you the complex implications of these results, what comes from it and what you can imply from it.”

In February, Mezyk was awarded the 2014 Outstanding Professor at CSULB, which is based on the successes as a professor, research and service. The award looks at three components: instruction and instructionally-related activities, scholarly and creative activities and professional service.

“Winning the award is a stepping stone,” Mezyk said. “I’m very honored to receive the award. It was really nice to receive this and join the ranks of those before me who I’ve respected since coming to this university.”

His research has been backed by $3.82 million in external grant funding from the Department of Energy, National Science Foundation, Water Reuse Foundation and Batelle Energy Sciences.

Mezyk stated he started working at CSULB in 2001 as an assistant professor. He is a physical chemist with interests in energy and the environment, has written a 150 page peer-reviewed journal and a book and has extended abstract publications all since coming to CSULB.

Kimberly Rickman, a former research student who worked with Mezyk in 2009, said he was actively involved in teaching her useful skills for her career.

“Steve’s influence and unique style of mentoring has been central to instilling confidence, helping me further develop my career goals, and ultimately reach my full potential,” Rickman said.