Tweaks to the MyCSULB website are causing issues for the campus community

Several students were unable to access their MyCSULB accounts on their cellphones and computers during the last two weeks.

Students consistently rely on two of the universitys website pages: MyCSULB and Beachboard, which allow them to create and view their schedules and to update and keep themselves informed of their courses and university life.

Ana Ibarra, a freshman psychology major, said she had trouble accessing her portal during the second week of January.

I did suspect some difficulties while trying to log into MyCSULB, but I sort of knew it was going to happen due to the warning email that the university sent us,” Ibarra said. “I told myself that it wasn’t a big deal and that Ill try to log in some other day.

Mariela Herrera, a senior criminal justice major, said she had trouble accessing the page during the second week of January, and it wasn’t until the day before school that she was able to log in to her portal.

“On Monday, the day before school, I was barely able to log into my portal with no problems, but prior to that I had difficulties accessing the page during the second week of January as well.”

Herrera said her professors had trouble accessing Beachboard as well.

She also had trouble logging into the portal on her cellphone.

“Although I was finally able to log into my account that Monday, for some reason I had trouble because the page appeared zoomed in on my phone, and I wasn’t able to zoom out,” Herrera said.

Janet Foster, Cal State Long Beach Associate Vice President of Information Technology Services, sent an email Jan. 15 to address the issue.

Please be aware that MyCSULB has recently undergone a required upgrade,” Foster said. “As a result, you may experience some difficulty accessing the MyCSULB login page if you have bookmarked or saved the page as a favorite in your browser history.

The email also provided some helpful tips for students who have had or will face difficulties while trying to log in and accessing the page.

1. Clear the cookies and cache or browsing history on the internet browser.
  2. Go to the MyCSULB portal as usual, and try to log in again.

“Although MyCSULB did not experience any downtime or outage as a result of the upgrade, some users may have experienced problems if they had the old MyCSULB URL bookmarked or cache in their browser,” Executive Director of Media and Digital News Michael Uhlenkamp said in an email.  

“For these users, clearing the cache, forgetting browser history and updating bookmarks resolved the problem,” Uhlenkamp said.

“There hasn’t been anyone voicing a concern against updating MyCSULB, and the required update allows us to receive the latest functionality, support and enhancements from Oracle,” Uhlenkamp said.

Oracle is CSULB’s website vendor.

Although the page is supposed to help students and faculty with an easier and quicker approach to resources, it brought some frustration to students, according to Ibarra.

I noticed the new website design, and I actually think that it is way better and much easier,” Ibarra said. “Plus, it looks more up to date and modernized.”

For more help, students can contact the Technology Help Desk at 562-985-4959.