Return of Kings leader Roosh V cancels tribal meetup

Return of Kings, a blog for an organization of self-described “neo-masculinists,” cancelled its first in-person meetings scheduled for Feb. 6, including the planned Long Beach meetup in the parking lot of Glory Days Sports Grill in Lakewood.

The meet-ups were intended to be the first of many with the purpose of establishing individual neo-masculinist communities called “tribes” around the world.

Roosh Valizadeh, blogger and frequent group spokesman, wrote an article for the site that advocates the legalization of rape on private property. Valizadeh later claimed the article was satire.

The Return of Kings blog includes articles titled “Women Should Not Be Allowed to Vote” and “Women Must Have Their Behavior and Decisions Controlled by Men.” The comments on these articles indicate they are not considered satire by their authors or the community.

Valizadeh cancelled the meetup because he said he could no longer “guarantee the safety or privacy of the men who want to attend” due to the press and social media backlash.

Valizadeh previously wrote regarding the planned meet-up, “Our views are becoming known enough that we can ‘come out’ of the shadows and not have to hide behind a computer screen for fear of retaliation.”

Sheriffs from Long Beach and Lakewood were present in case a meeting still took place.

“We’re here to be a presence and keep the peace,” said Sergeant Sean O’Donaghue of the Lakewood Police Department, who emphasized they were there to keep both Return of Kings’ members and potential protesters safe.

Glory Days Sports Grill knew of the planned meetup for a week and a half in advance and had contacted the local police, according to manager Chris Coakley. “We take care of our home,” Coakley said.

In the wake of the cancellation, Return of Kings called for donations and purchases of Valizadeh’s “Bang Guides” to build up its organization.