Wellness Week makes a comeback at CSULB

Yoga, trained therapy dogs, free HIV testing and popsicles have one thing in common: they’ll all be offered at Wellness Week at Cal State Long Beach.

The three-day event returns to campus today and will continue through Wednesday featuring a variety of activities hosted by the College of Health and Human Services and over 40 other health organizations.

Designed to encourage faculty, students and the Long Beach community at large to participate in health and wellness activities, the “Exercise is Medicine” themed event officially begins at 12:15 p.m. today at the Friendship Walk on lower campus with the “Great Beach Walk-On.”

The route starts at the base of the University Student Union stairs and will continue through upper campus; refreshments and snacks will be provided along the way.

A talk called the “Lauda Lecture,” named after a previous dean of the CHHS, will be also be held today at The Pointe inside the Walter Pyramid.

“[The discussion is] set to draw a large crowd because it will focus on connecting the campus and the Long Beach community; it also has a panel of esteemed speakers,” according to Emily Sopo, assistant director at CSULB’s LifeFit Center.

The panelists scheduled to attend include CHHS Dean Dr. Monica Lounsbery, chair of the EIM advisory board Dr. Robert Sallis, and CSULB kinesiology major Devon Stone.

This free event begins with a social mixer from 5-5:30 p.m. followed by a 5:30-7 p.m. panel discussion about the new EIM initiative that the LifeFit Center has endorsed.

Tuesday’s event, the seventh annual Live Your Life Day, hosted by Project OCEAN, will take place from 11-2:30 p.m. at the Speaker’s Lawn in front of of the CSULB Bookstore.

In an effort to re-energize students and other attendees, organizers will provide emotional support animals to cuddle with, free massages, hammocks to rest in, a photo booth, a DJ, live musical performances, dance and cultural pieces performed by student groups, games and a free lunch.

Live Your Life Day is intended to promote overall emotional, physical, social and spiritual wellness.

On Wednesday, the series of events will resume at Friendship Walk with the CHHS Wellness Fair.

Running from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., the activities include a mind-body workshop, a nutrition booth with giveaways and wellness screenings led by the numerous health organizations that will be in attendance.