Hazmat incident forces a shelter-in-place at CSULB

Dangerous chemicals were found in a vehicle near campus triggering a lockdown of several buildings and an investigation by the Long Beach Fire Department, Monday.

Sulfuric and formic acids were identified in the Veteran Affairs parking lot on the other side of the G1 lot, according to Andreas Quinones, a CSULB Environmental and Health and Safety official. Quinones added that the combination of the chemicals posed an explosive threat.    

The incident caused closures in the Nursing Building, International House, Parkside College Dormitory and other campus buildings along Beach Drive. Beach Drive was closed by the University Police Department from the Bellflower Boulevard campus entrance to the GO BEACH sign turn- around. Students waiting for the bus or walking along the street were redirected to lower campus.  

UPD closed Beach Drive from the Bellflower Boulevard campus entrance to the GO BEACH sign turn-around.                                                  Austin Brumblay/Daily Forty-Niner

Those on campus were alerted of the danger via a CSULB BeachALERT! message at 3:17 p.m.  before being given the all clear about an hour later at 4:06 p.m.

Sulfuric acid is a highly volatile chemical that can cause severe burns as well as breathing issues when inhaled.

LBFD investigates a vehicle in the VA parking lot where hazardous materials were reported.                                                                                         Austin Brumblay/Daily Forty-Niner

Senior nursing major Lily Mathis was taking a test in the Nursing Building during the shelter-in- place order.

“After the test we were told one by one that we had to stay inside,” Mathis said. 

She explained  the shelter order did  not concern her.

A LBFD responder gives the all clear to officials in the area after investigating the chemicals found in the vehicle.                                        Austin Brumblay/Daily Forty-Niner