Let’s speak sex positive

Nasty. That was my first thought when my mother told me about sex. I was going around for a week saying “sexy” this “sexy” that, when my mom sat me down and laid it all out for me.

She told me it was OK to call someone sexy as long as I understood what it meant. Needless to say, I stopped calling the dog sexy because I didn’t want to have sex with her.

Sex has become a multi-billion dollar business and we are all customers.

Sex is used to sell anything from butter to condoms; it’s in our face everyday, yet we are afraid to talk about it.

Sex Positive Week is giving us the opportunity to break the mold of sex negative and start thinking positively about sex.

The Feminist Organization Reclaiming Consciousness and Equality- hosted event offers information on safe sex, STDs, the mysterious G-spot, movie screenings and much more.

This free sex education course for adults reminded me of my own middle school course. Although toys and fetishes should be kept on college campuses, middle school students need to know how to protect themselves if they choose to be sexually active. They also should be taught to have a positive attitude about sex. We cannot expect young people to protect themselves if they don’t know how.

We live in a country that teaches us that violence is better than sex; we can watch all the blood and guts we can stand, yet, as soon as sex is thrown into the mix, it becomes taboo. Its OK for society to see the insides of a human spewed across the kitchen sink but not two humans touching.

How has America become so sexuality ashamed when sex is something we all will encounter? How many more people are we going to alienate for having same-sex partners, for instance, before we decide to understand their human needs?

The fact is, same-sex relationships and teen sex are always going to exist. Without proper education, STDs and sexual abuse will increase. We must stop pretending we live in the innocent 1950s and get real.

Let me just say thank you here and now to F.O.R.C.E. and all who were involved; thank you for telling the world it is OK to talk about sex.

Sex is a multi-billion dollar business because there is a market for it, which should be enough for the American public to get positive.

Serafina Costanza is a senior journalism major and the assistant opinions editor for the Daily Forty-Niner.

Mariana/F.O.R.C.E

That last comment was mine, by the way…

Thank you! This is probably the best feedback “card” we’ve gotten so far. We’re really happy about the turnout, and how much more liberated people feel once they leave the workshops and presentations. You can see it on their faces when they march up to the table after the event and unabashedly grab a handful of condoms. Safe sex is sexy sex! 😀

Wandie, F.O.R.C.E.

Thanks for writing this and I’m glad you’re enjoying the event. We worked really hard on it and this is exactly why!

🙂