Women’s education unequal

Women’s advancement in education is something to be applauded. The ability to exercise the mind and feel equally educated to men, which in the past has presented problems for women, is a great accomplishment.

Women in the Middle East have had an increasing amount of educational opportunities as societies change. However, does knowledge equal power, as the saying goes? It might possibly equal mental power, but certainly not physical power, such as holding a high position in a country.

In 2008, the Global Gender Gap report showed that Norway, Finland and Sweden have the most equality of the sexes. Unfortunately, Saudi Arabia, Chad and Yemen had the least. The U.N. data concerning this topic showed prominent gender gaps when it came to politics, economics and the government.

Women in Saudi Arabia blame men for abusing Islam and making rash decisions that they justify with the Quran. Women in Yemen have formed many groups to push for more education because they have very low literacy rates — an estimated 65 percent. What exactly is the purpose of education if no social difference is being made?

Knowledge brings power to the mind, but is it as restrictive as traditional Islamic women’s clothing?

A Yemeni female child was the first to be awarded a divorce in the country. This is a monumental achievement, but a perfect example of just how little voice women have. It is a push and pull system. On one end there is the story of Shada Nassar, who opened the first female law office in Yemen in the 1990s. And on the other end there is a law that allows girls of any age to wed.

I focus on the countries that have the lowest gender equality just to show the extremities of statistics. We often complain in the United States of a lack of gender equality, but comparatively speaking we rank 27th.

Sadly, we are still below South Africa, France and Cuba. Imagine the potential each country could have if both male and female talent was utilized equally. Leaving the power to men limits possibilities. When the mind is exposed to new ideas and perspectives it is able to flourish rather than remain stagnant because of cultural norms.

However, what these studies do say is that hope may be dim but not defeated. If the first female to have a divorce in Yemen is an accomplishment, then it is one step closer to another possible accomplishment.

If women in Finland have the same rights as men, then perhaps they can help those who do not. Hopefully, through women coming together on a global and local basis, a steady but strong change could be made.

The justification of culture provides for a society with limits or the glass ceiling effect that American women face.

We must not be afraid to go against the grail, with the intention of not only the advancement of women, but also the wellbeing of the world and its individual societies.

Miranda Gill is a senior journalism major and a contributing writer for the Daily Forty-Niner.

not to mention the walk to school poses the risk of acid attacks for Afghani girls and their teachers.