Our View-Mexican asylum seekers in double jeopardy at border

Mexican drug cartels are ruling with violence and many fear it is only a matter of time before the country is overrun with exploding irrepressible violence. Those who are outspoken, usually journalists, police and other professionals, are either killed or soon will be.

The message is obvious; if you make trouble for the powerful and brutal, you will be taken out. With this in mind, the choice seems to be clear; either you risk your life by speaking out, or you put your head down, stay quite and hope for the best.

Those who choose to object to the carnage created by warring, powerful narco-traffickers are being silenced one by one by these gangsters. The Los Angeles Times reported professionals on the run from the dangerous cartels are seeking asylum in the U.S. They run for the borders, fill out the papers and are put in jail until a decision is made to either grant asylum, or deport them back to certain death.

The people seeking safety behind our borders are the same people trying to fight the cartels. If the U.S. doesn’t allow them in there might be nobody left to fight. Mexican citizens are already terrified and seeing many of their peers slain will likely force many more into silent acceptance.

After several of his police officers were murdered, and his own life threatened, Juárez Mayor Jose Reyes Ferriz and his family relocated to Texas — the mayor had to flee his own city. What does this say about the troubles on the other side of the border? The cartels are only getting stronger and the proof lies in the fact that they are pushing out all opposition, while the violence increases with each passing day.

Many fear the second we legally allow Mexican asylees in, an inundation of applicants will surely follow; our borders will be jam packed with people, some of whom with bogus claims. While this could happen, it’s not enough of a reason to deny safe haven for those putting their lives on the line.

It has been reported that the cartels are operating in 230 U.S. cities; they control most of the drugs trafficked into this country and obtain their weapons on this side of the border — the trouble has already reached us.

Since last January, approximately 6,000 people have been murdered and the Mexican government is steadily losing control.

They should be turning to us and we should be helping them simply because they need our help. For those who feel that we should not aid the fleeing refugees, consider the global economy. Mexico is the 12th leading economy, we share borders, agree to free trade and — for anti-immigration-minded folks — a safer Mexico is the first step in job creation.

The illicit drug industry is preventing Mexico from growing into a safe, productive country. There are hundreds of thousands of undocumented people already living north of the border. Granting asylum to those who seek to come here legally will not increase the amount of undocumented people in this country. How could it? They are already here.

One way to end the drug cartel madness is to simply legalize all forms of drugs. Of course, this seems a little extreme to some, but it can work. Gangsters are just like everyone else and if they can’t make money by killing competition, they just might stop.

Allowing those who are fleeing from the cartels to seek asylum may lead to more people seeking refuge, but eventually things will get better — if we help.