This Week in Cartoons-Perez Hilton Miss Calif tongue lashing worse than same-sex haters

Miss California, oh no you didn’t. But you did and now you’ve got to live without your shiny Miss USA crown.

Once again, a little thing called freedom of speech came with a high price. In this case, it involved a beautiful woman with no tact and an offended celebrity blogger.

It all started during this year’s Miss USA pageant, when event judge Perez Hilton asked Miss California Carrie Prejean what she thought about gay marriage.

Surprise, surprise: The San Diego Christian College student explained that due to her upbringing and her own beliefs, marriage should be between one man and one woman.

She also mentioned that “we live in a land where you can choose same sex marriage.” Um, Miss California, Proposition 8 passed last November. I don’t actually have the choice of same-sex marriage in this precious land we call California.

I’m not an avid Miss USA pageant viewer. To tell you the truth, I don’t really understand why we have them. But hey, who am I to hate?

Sure, Ms. Prejean is exactly what is wrong with the half of California that voted yes on Proposition 8. It is also her right to openly express her views on gay marriage, just like it is my right to express my own in this student publication.

So, when Perez opens his big mouth and openly offends the woman for not agreeing with her, going as far as saying that her views are the reason she lost her crown, I feel that our society takes a huge leap backward.

When we ask for the same rights that heterosexuals enjoy, we’re asking to be accepted for who we are. We’re asking that others treat us with equality despite their political and religious beliefs. I still don’t understand how my being able to get married someday will affect the lives of heterosexuals.

When Perez verbally attacks the woman for sticking to her words, though — no matter how wrong they are — he’s doing exactly what Proposition 8 is doing; silencing us because they don’t agree.

The only way to arrive at a reasonable agreement on this issue, or any other issue for that matter, is to encourage open dialogue and accept each other for who we are, despite our religion, sexual orientation, gender, race and beliefs. Or whatever.

-Julio Salgado

well written