Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter to the editor-Display demeaning to women

I was appalled and disturbed by the display of photos of dead babies on campus [last week] and their comparison to past events in history. To compare abortion to Nazis, lynching and genocide is a fallacy.

The anti-abortion protesters are exploiting these serious events in history to further their agenda. If they really want to make a viable argument, perhaps they should use real facts and information rather than methods of shock and revulsion.

While the pro-lifers do cite textbooks for photos of embryonic development, they have no way to prove authenticity of the abortion photos because there is no disclosure about the abortion, the photographer or why it happened.

The “pro lifers” pushing their agenda down middle school, high school and college students’ throats has no benefit. Does society really want crack-whores having babies with HIV and herpes? There are people not suitable to be parents.

Would you rather have a tiny baby with no feelings die or have a young teenage girl die from a botched abortion [because it was banned in the state she was in or had to get parental approval].

What about women who get raped? Look at the women who got raped in the Rwandan genocide 13 years ago. They had no access to abortion and now have to look at the face of their rapist everyday.

The options that pro-life activists give pregnant women are to either keep the baby or put it up for adoption. This is a sound choice for white women, but the reality of adoption is that most minority babies go un-adopted due to a preference for white babies.

For minority mothers, the only options left are to keep the child or to leave it suffer a life as an orphan. What sounds more ethical now?

Women should have the right to choose whether or not they would like to carry a baby in their womb. Putting up a horrific display at school causes people to throw up their lunch rather prevent future abortions. If anything should be aborted, it’s the so-called “bio ethical reform” protesters on campus.

-Mayraav Zimmerman,
freshman biochemistry major

Bill, Class of 1979

Over 53 million babies aborted since 1973 in the US alone? Genocide? Seems to fit. I have seen the photos the protesters used and even though I can’t “prove” what aborted babies often look like – I have seen them in the bio-hazard waste from Athens Park Hospital in the late 70s. It breaks your heart…

Zimmerman just argued that HIV-positive people and people with herpes are better off dead. Just so you know. If you wouldn’t argue in favor of killing BORN people on crack, or with HIV or herpes, then you can’t use the above question as an argument.

Your name

putting restrictions on teenagers for abortions is the same as making it illegal.

Your name

Morty, first you say “Abortion shouldn’t be a political issue” and follow it by politicizing the topic with your criticism of the Clinton administration. Would you please make up your mind.

Your name

Getting mixed messages from you mortygwhiz. First, you abhor abortion in the U.S. as a “sanctity of life” issue, but then you blast the U.S. because it didn’t provide “medical abortion services” in Rwanda? If you’re going to ascribe “sanctity of life” at least be consistent. Valuable life does not only exist in the U.S. There are innumerable cultural, sociological and economical reasons the Chinese people don’t rise against the child limits imposed in their country that reach beyond politics. Some Eastern philosophy courses might help you understand those. And I hope our own bureaucrats don’t “pull the plug” on you because you are old. Another Eastern value lacking in the U.S. is respect for the aged.

mortygwhiz

Why is it that those who are pro-choice want to murder the innocent? I read all of the excitement from scientists about the possibility of finding “life” on Mars in the form of some pre-historic bacteria found on a rock believed to have arrived on Earth as an asteroid from Mars, yet hear that those who are pro-choice do not believe a fertilized ovum in the womb is a live human. In Ms Zimmerman’s opinion piece she states that, “Women should have the right to choose whether or not they would like to carry a baby in their womb”, and as a biochemistry major it is encouraging that she knows that what is being carried in the womb is a baby. I find it discouraging that someone would murder that innocent baby in the womb because it, “has no feelings”. I suspect Ms. Zimmerman has little feeling about life unless it does not personally impinge on her wants and needs. I wonder how Ms. Zimmerman feels about the value of life of the aged and infirm? Our Congress is about to pass a national health care reform legislation that will be a national payer plan. In order for it to have any chance of affordability (government ability to pay for it), health care will have to be rationed. Under that plan resources will be limited, not by an individual’s ability to pay or the existence of treatment, but by government bureaucrats deciding whether or not continued care is cost effective. They will probably pull the plug on me since I am old.

Currentlly, abortions are available in every state. Abortion shouldn’t be a political issue. It should be an issue of personal morality. It should not be based on selfish interests but a careful understanding of what the sanctity of life means. Because those who are pro-life believe in the sanctity of life it is not a stretch to compare easily obtained, state sanctioned abortion as being comparable to conditions in Nazi Germany in the 1930’s and 1940’s. It’s not an exact comparison, thank God. An exact comparison would be a state in which child birth would be rationed and if couples exceeded the alotted number of children that the state allows them to have the woman would be subjected to a forced abortion. Again, thank God that this is not the case in the United States. Unfortunately, population control does exist in China and couples are forced to abort any children that exceed their state allotment.

I am shocked, shocked I say, that Ms. Zimmerman would bring up the Rwandan genocide and the raping of the women survivors. Why am I shocked? I am shocked that the United States knew what was going on and failed to lift a finger to stop it. I am shocked that the international aid that our nation sent in the aftermath did not include medical abortion services to provide to the rape victims. Under the Clinton administration, such aid could have been sent. But I momentarily forgot, the U.S. failed to lift so much as a finger to help prevent the atrocities of Rwanda. I think access to abortion was the least of their problems in Rwanda.