Erin Swetland touts Beach accomplishments

In the slightest of terms, this year has been strenuous on everyone. But amidst all of the tribulations that have attempted to see us fail, Associated Students Inc. has made landmark achievements with the support of the Cal State Long Beach student body.

I found something truly profound about serving the students and I feel nothing short of privileged that the students have given me this opportunity to serve my term as ASI president. What shaped our success the most in our endeavors were an active student body and incredible ASI team that never failed to voice their opinion.

The proof for these statements is evident in this past year’s events.

Beginning in August, CSULB, ASI and Long Beach Transit launched a trial program for free bus rides for any student or faculty member with a valid student ID card. The trial was such a success that the program was extended to the rest of the year, effectively reducing greenhouse gas emissions and heavy Long Beach traffic.

In December, the 26th Annual Belmont Shore Christmas Parade on 2nd Street was full of cheer as ASI featured two floats in the Winter Wonderland theme. It was a night that demonstrated Beach spirit even off campus.

We have also made a number of gains in the University Student Union, including the opening of two new venders — Sbarro and Wells Fargo Bank — as well as signing contracts for a new self-serve frozen yogurt restaurant.

It was the Raise Your Voice campaign that exhibited the power of a university intermingling with civic affairs, because they affect students as much as the rest of the community. ASI successfully registered and re-registered new voters for the November elections.

Furthermore, we can be proud of our students for winning several titles in different areas of skill. Students won first place in the United Spirit Association’s Collegiate Nationals Competition in the dance, cheer and mascot categories. Among the other achievements of ASI organizations was the Long Beach State Dance Team becoming Division I champions and the Union Weekly winning ninth place in the National College Newspaper Convention.

Finally, ASI celebrated the construction of a state-of-the-art Student Recreation and Wellness Center with a groundbreaking ceremony this past January. The SRWC is the most monumental project our campus has seen in years and will serve as the premiere workout and wellness facility. Among the unique features are an indoor jogging track, a rock-climbing wall, an outdoor recreation swimming pool, several basketball, volleyball and badminton courts, and large spaces for weightlifting and cardio.

At 126,500 square feet, the SRWC will be one of the largest recreational facilities in California and will employ more than 200 students. ASI has also worked hard to ensure that it will be LEED Silver Certified, meaning it will be sustainable in energy and design. The facility may even include recyclable furniture.

ASI is more prepared than ever to wrangle the hardships that lie on the path ahead with Chris Chavez as new president, Omar Gonzalez as vice president and Marilei Denila as treasurer.

Looking back on all of our accomplishments has given me hope that the economic downturn has not fazed us, but instead, given us the motivation we need to look ahead. We have formidable tasks before us, but there is no doubt in my mind that our new ASI Cabinet will come through in the hour of need.

CSULB has truly been my home away from home, and I am delighted to see what great things my fellow students will continue to do.