Our View-Having parents in class sign of times

We’re capitalists. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. We don’t mean to be trite, but that’s just how our economy works. America prides itself on a system that is based on one’s skill sets. It’s a land where, with rare exception, your daddy’s name doesn’t mean much.

This is exactly why this semester you just might find your daddy — or mommy — sitting next to you in class. With a feeble economy and a truly unforgiving job market, laid-off employees and worrisome executives are heading back to school.

America is a meritocracy that embraces an “eat or be eaten” paradigm. Again, we don’t mean to be trite, but that’s just how our economy works. Individuals are commodities, worth only as much as they make themselves. When you’re just not being sold, an upgrade is necessary.

Look, having your mother and father in the classroom won’t be so bad. Sure, your best friend may hit on your mom, your best gal might hear your dad’s extracurricular “dad” noises, or the girl that always sits in the front row might find your pops ‘cute.’ But, hey what other choice do we have?

We’re not blaming the 45-year-old father of two or the 35-year-old single mother. You want mom and pop to pay tuition, the mortgage, put food on the table? Well, they have to have a job to do that. You can’t have your cake and eat it, too. Again, we don’t mean to be trite, but that’s just how our economy works.

Sure, the influx of older students will put an added burden on colleges and younger students. The burden will manifest in both the job market and the classroom. Grading curves will be affected, probably not in a good way for many. Classroom size will be affected.
Your ability to find a job post graduation will be affected. However, one should welcome this type of competition because those who do get past the geezer pack — well, they’ll be the cream of the crop. Really, we don’t mean to be trite, but that’s just how our economy works.

Luckily, the cream of the crop won’t have to worry about the old folks tapping into the old 401(k). There’s a whole host of things the parental unit can do to pay for college without burdening their progeny after retirement.

According to a recent article in The New York Times, if dad is still working he can ask his employer to pay “up to $5,250 in tax-free tuition reimbursement.” The federal government also can help. The American Opportunity Tax Credit of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 offers up to a $2,500 refund on college expenses. Also, if mom can prove she lost her job because of a trade agreement she can receive assistance from the Trade Adjustment Assistance program.

The economy is suffering but that doesn’t mean people can’t take the time to better themselves. These programs and tax breaks are not just for mom and dad; anyone can take advantage of them.

Yes, the fight for a job is only going to get harder, but we have to accept that’s how things are going to be for a few years. The old dog will learn new tricks and we’re going to watch with a competitive smile.

And again, we don’t mean to be trite, but that’s just how our economy works.