Our View-Governor’s veto abuse tells voters ‘Up yours’

Apparently democracy has become something we only sit and talk about; a sort of distraction — something we intellectuals muse about. Really, it’s embarrassing. We devour anyone who wishes to argue against democracy, yet when a person acts against its favor, we have better things to do.

Us editorialists? We’re partial to 1990s sitcoms. Nevertheless, tyranny takes many forms: king, president and, in rare cases, a “governator.” What? Did you think this was going to be a poignant editorial about freedom, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? That mess is left to the political science lecturers.

We, on the other hand, simply take the time to point out the sheer arrogance of our governor, that is, when we’re not watching “Friends” reruns.

Listen Arnold old buddy, regardless of what you think is important, regardless of what direction you think the state should be headed, you are still a public servant and you still serve under the will of the people.

In a childish frenzy only fitting the “Kindergarten Cop,” our governor has threatened to veto every bill on his desk. This in turn has prompted Sacramento Sen. Darrell Steinberg and Speaker of the Assembly Karen Bass to retract more than 70 bills from the current slate.

What’s the governor’s excuse? We have better things to worry about. Evidently, he enjoys “Friends” just as much as we do.

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger’s spokesman, Matt David, stated that his boss wants focus to be placed on issues ranging from renewable energy to prisons before he signs any bills into law. Schwarzenegger is whining that the budget negotiations put him behind in taking care of important business.

Duh, Arnold was the largest reason the budget fight lasted so long in the first place. Now, he wants our state to suffer through more of his bullying tactics.

We’ve established that the highs and lows of democracy would be left to those who know them best. However, it’s safe to say that the actions of our governor are not democratic and, therefore, are fair game.

For all we know he could be right. There might be certain issues that demand the full force of our legislative body, but he has no right to decide what bills congress sends him.

Thus, if a bill banning David Schwimmer movies lands on his desk he has no right to disparage its priority. It is the will of the people. This may seem a little silly, but we make examples like this with reason. There is a method to our madness outside of our love for the 90s sitcom.

Schwarzenegger has yet to understand his job. He may attempt to influence public policy, but he has no right within the proscriptions of his job to dictate. Hence, if his influence fails to sway his constituents it is not his place to bitch, abuse his power or ridicule democracy.

The people may err in the direction of childishness. We may ignore the failings of the system we live under — prioritize sitcoms, bitch, piss and moan — but this is only because it is not our job to do otherwise.

A governor is held to a higher standard than the average voter. Schwarzenegger must not resort to childishness simply because his influence fails to sway those around him. Elected officials do not govern us, but are governed by us — the constituents. Our governor needs to remember this instead of telling our representatives to get screwed if he’s not getting his way.

When he tells our elected leaders to get bent, he’s telling us to get bent.
He is not a king but is a public servant. The people, not through the musings of a governor, determine prosperity. They do our bidding so we have time to watch our sitcoms. We muse — they serve.