This Week in Cartoons-Nobody laughed over spilled yogurt

Double tasking is not my forté. My close friends take enormous pride in such precious skills. Some can watch YouTube videos and do Algebra at the same time.

Me? I end up with yogurt running down the back of my shirt. It all happened while waiting for a computer at the Horn Center. I had an hour before my journalism class; just enough time to do a five-page reading.

With a cup of yogurt in my hand and headphones in my ears, I began to untangle myself from my backpack. Because I was paying more attention to the music in my ears than the yogurt in my hand, I raised my arm and spilled all of its strawberry goodness down the back of my shirt.

I made a quick dash to the restroom, took off my shirt and frantically began to wipe the mess off. Thank God for undershirts — that is, old, stained and tight undershirts. Mind you, the time was around 12:30ish, peak time for computer lab users at the Horn.

I couldn’t bring myself to walk out of the restroom as if nothing happened. The imminent giggles, the impending stares — I just couldn’t risk it. The Horn Center is my office, after all. But I did.

And then — nothing; no giggles. no laughter, no, “Are you OK, Mr. Clumsy? May I offer you my own shirt to wipe off the mess you left behind?” Nada.

With paper towels in hand, I got on my knees and cleaned up the yogurt I spilled on to the floor. Uncomfortable with the tightness of my undershirt, I took a seat and tried to forget the whole incident

But the lack of reaction from my fellow students kept bugging me. Everyone was in their own little world of cell phones, books and laptops. It is not everyday that a klutz pours yogurt down his back. The least they could do was point or laugh a little

Then I started thinking about a recent article in the Los Angeles Times. I guess L.A. Times writer Hector Tobar was right when he got a sense that students were in no rush to “rise up in revolt” regarding constant fee hikes. He had just visited Cal State L.A. for a “Walk of Shame” protest. He noticed the sort of attitude that says, “If it ain’t happening to me right now, then I’ll just care later.”

But guys, even if the fee hikes and furloughs are not directly affecting you — which I find strange when every other student has a horror story about cancelled classes or taking extra jobs because they do not get financial aid — there is someone else who is definitely being affected right now.

I hear many students complain, but not enough asking what they should do.

Sometimes something as simple as writing a letter to our beloved governor, who by the way just vetoed a bill that would allow more transparency within the CSU system, might bug the heck out of him.

SaveTheCSU.com suggests you read up on articles regarding fee hikes and furloughs, and leave comments. Or maybe write a good old-fashioned letter to the editor. Just do something.

We cannot detach ourselves from the political decisions being made for us. We’re living in some tough times, kids, and if we want our little sisters and brothers to enjoy a college education, we must take off our shirts and ask if we can help. Or whatever.

— Julio Salgado